margaret

Default I do not have microsoft word

I had been trying to get the check spelling for emails
but it is not high lited. So I looked at programs on I
have microsoft works not word. Do I need to download
words from whereever? Please help me know what this is
all about. I have Microsoft Windows xp home edition
version 2002.

Gordon

margaret wrote:
I had been trying to get the check spelling for emails
but it is not high lited. So I looked at programs on I
have microsoft works not word. Do I need to download
words from whereever? Please help me know what this is
all about. I have Microsoft Windows xp home edition
version 2002.

If you are using Outlook Express, then do a google search for spell
checkers. There are several free ones out there that will work.

Charles Kenyon

If you have the Works Suite, then you have Word. If that is the case, you
may need to reinstall.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"margaret" wrote in message
I had been trying to get the check spelling for emails
but it is not high lited. So I looked at programs on I
have microsoft works not word. Do I need to download
words from whereever? Please help me know what this is
all about. I have Microsoft Windows xp home edition
version 2002.

Teri D MT

I'm sorry...I know I'm not in the right category. But I can't get "In" to
ask a question. I click the "new" button and then choose "new thread" and
"question" but I don't get any kind of a box or space to type my question.
However, when I click "reply" I get a reply box, which is what I'm using now.
I will much appreciate any help anyone can give me so I can get in and ask
my question in a proper location. Thank you!

Beth Melton

If you are using the web interface on the Microsoft site to access the
newsgroups then I'd say the New Post type is being blocked by your
pop-up blocker. If you use the Google toolbar with the pop-up blocker
then hold Ctrl while clicking the New command. If you are using a
different one then it should have some means of overriding the
blocker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Teri D MT" wrote in message
I'm sorry...I know I'm not in the right category. But I can't get
"In" to
ask a question. I click the "new" button and then choose "new
thread" and
"question" but I don't get any kind of a box or space to type my
question.
However, when I click "reply" I get a reply box, which is what I'm
using now.
I will much appreciate any help anyone can give me so I can get in
and ask
my question in a proper location. Thank you!

Gordon

Teri D MT wrote:
I'm sorry...I know I'm not in the right category. But I can't get
"In" to ask a question. I click the "new" button and then choose
"new thread" and "question" but I don't get any kind of a box or
space to type my question. However, when I click "reply" I get a
reply box, which is what I'm using now. I will much appreciate any
help anyone can give me so I can get in and ask my question in a
proper location. Thank you!

Then why not use a proper newsreader instead of the 'orrible web interface?

Beth Melton

Not everyone can use a newsreader due to corporate policies/security
which is one of the reasons Microsoft added this capability. Plus the
web interface provides an option that will send the poster a
notification when replies have been posted to a thread which helps
those who are not familiar with newsgroups to find our responses to
their questions. I think this aspect is important since I know there
have been many times I felt my replies never reached the OP and my
efforts were for naught.

Besides....do you really think it is really *that* 'orrible? In all
honesty I was against the whole 'web interface' notion when it was
conceived several years ago but it has grown on me. Of course, not to
the point I would use it instead of OE, or another newsreader, but if
I were unable to use NNTP to access the newsgroups I'd use the web
interface.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Gordon" wrote in message

Then why not use a proper newsreader instead of the 'orrible web
interface?

Gordon

Beth Melton wrote:
Not everyone can use a newsreader due to corporate policies/security
which is one of the reasons Microsoft added this capability.

Yep, I've even used it because of that!

Besides....do you really think it is really *that* 'orrible?

It's not just the style, it's the fact that most of the repetitive questions
are asked by newbies who don't realise that you click on the "+" sign to see
replies, and can't be bothered to go to any previous pages to see posts etc
etc etc! The search function is not as good as a proper newsreader, neither
can you set it to "show replies to my posts", although the notification must
be a recent innovation AFAIK......

Beth Melton

"Gordon" wrote in message
Beth Melton wrote:
Besides....do you really think it is really *that* 'orrible?

It's not just the style, it's the fact that most of the repetitive
questions are asked by newbies who don't realise that you click on
the "+" sign to see replies,

The version they released in June will expand the full thread after
you click anywhere on the subject and you *have* to click in order to
read the post:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...an g=en&cr=US

and can't be bothered to go to any previous pages to see posts etc
etc etc!

I hear you on that! I think reading previous posts and searching is an
issue for many posters but the web interface does bring many
participants who don't understand how newsgroups are utilized. They
did incorporate an "Ask a Question Wizard" which is invoked from the
Office 2003 applications and from various links on the Microsoft site
which forces a search prior to asking a question and I think that has
helped some but I can't say for sure.

The search function is not as good as a proper newsreader

They refined Search in the new version and unlike the previous - it
actually works!! (Although I don't think Microsoft can ever replace
Google...g)

neither can you set it to "show replies to my posts",

Other than searching for posts with your name, no there isn't a
feature. I've suggested they incorporate a "My Posts" option in Show
drop down. Hopefully it, and other filter options, will be added in
the next version.

although the notification must be a recent innovation AFAIK......

Yes, it was introduced in the new version. One can subscribe for
notifications on any thread.

Thanks for taking the time to add your feedback, Gordon. I'm
interested in any additional feedback you may have after taking a look
at the new interface. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Graham Mayor

They refined Search in the new version and unlike the previous - it
actually works!! (Although I don't think Microsoft can ever replace
Google...)

Google have royally screwed up the newsgroup search function; and the main
search function of Google is being rapidly swallowed by advertising. Greed
may yet kill the usefulness of Google.

Beth Melton wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message
Beth Melton wrote:
[...]

Attached Images

Amedee Van Gasse

Gordon shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Teri D MT wrote:
I'm sorry...I know I'm not in the right category. But I can't get
"In" to ask a question. I click the "new" button and then choose
"new thread" and "question" but I don't get any kind of a box or
space to type my question. However, when I click "reply" I get a
reply box, which is what I'm using now. I will much appreciate any
help anyone can give me so I can get in and ask my question in a
proper location. Thank you!

Then why not use a proper newsreader instead of the 'orrible web
interface?

You say it: why don't you use a *PROPER* newsreader that is GNKSA 2.0
compliant. And I don't mean Outlook VirusExpress.
;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.16.5.2
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Amedee Van Gasse

Beth Melton wrote:
Not everyone can use a newsreader due to corporate policies/security
which is one of the reasons Microsoft added this capability.

Yep, I've even used it because of that!

I cannot use it because of corporate policy/security!

Besides....do you really think it is really that 'orrible?

It's not just the style, it's the fact that most of the repetitive
questions are asked by newbies who don't realise that you click on
the "+" sign to see replies, and can't be bothered to go to any
as good as a proper newsreader, neither can you set it to "show
replies to my posts", although the notification must be a recent
innovation AFAIK......

I don't mind that newbies ask the same questions over and over, as long
as they learn over time. If they don't, I'll have to use my /LART/.
;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.16.5.2
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Please don't thank me in advance. Thank me afterwards if it works or
hit me in the face if it doesn't. ;-)
Amedee Van Gasse

Beth Melton shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

The search function is not as good as a proper newsreader

They refined Search in the new version and unlike the previous - it
actually works!! (Although I don't think Microsoft can ever replace
Google...g)

.... unless they buy it.

And when they buy Electrolux, Microsoft will finally make products that
don't suck ;-)

(just a joke - don't shoot me please)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.16.5.2
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Please don't thank me in advance. Thank me afterwards if it works or
hit me in the face if it doesn't. ;-)
Amedee Van Gasse

Graham Mayor shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

They refined Search in the new version and unlike the previous - it
actually works!! (Although I don't think Microsoft can ever replace
Google...)

Google have royally screwed up the newsgroup search function; and the
main search function of Google is being rapidly swallowed by
advertising. Greed may yet kill the usefulness of Google.

I respectfully disagree with you on that matter.
Yes, there is advertising on Google.
And no, it does not interfere with my searches.
But your mileage may vary...

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.16.5.2
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Please don't thank me in advance. Thank me afterwards if it works or
hit me in the face if it doesn't. ;-)

Beth Melton

Can you expand on this Graham? Other than the added advertising I
don't really see a change. I didn't like flat layout view of the
thread but once I figured out how to get the threaded frame back
("view as tree" link) I'm a happy camper. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

It is the new beta newsgroup archive that particularly rankles.

Google have royally screwed up the newsgroup search function; and
the
main search function of Google is being rapidly swallowed by
advertising. Greed may yet kill the usefulness of Google.

Gordon

Teri D MT wrote:
I'm sorry...I know I'm not in the right category. But I can't get
"In" to ask a question. I click the "new" button and then choose
"new thread" and "question" but I don't get any kind of a box or
space to type my question. However, when I click "reply" I get a
reply box, which is what I'm using now. I will much appreciate any
help anyone can give me so I can get in and ask my question in a
proper location. Thank you!

Then why not use a proper newsreader instead of the 'orrible web
interface?

You say it: why don't you use a *PROPER* newsreader that is GNKSA 2.0
compliant. And I don't mean Outlook VirusExpress.
;-)

Well, horses for courses - I actually use Thunderbird as my *real*
newsreader......;-)

Graham Mayor

Once upon a time newsgroup searches were anonymous, now you have to log in
to be able to access the full thread. The only reason I can see for that is
to target yet more advertising. In the main search pages, it is getting to
the stage where required information is lost in a welter of advertisement

Beth Melton wrote:
Can you expand on this Graham? Other than the added advertising I
don't really see a change. I didn't like flat layout view of the
thread but once I figured out how to get the threaded frame back
("view as tree" link) I'm a happy camper. :-)

It is the new beta newsgroup archive that particularly rankles.

Google have royally screwed up the newsgroup search function; and
the
main search function of Google is being rapidly swallowed by
advertising. Greed may yet kill the usefulness of Google.

Beth Melton

I can view the full threads as I did in the past without logging in.
Perhaps since I've never logged in I don't see that requirement??

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/