pia

Default foreign language

i just bought a computer and need office, but i don't know if i can use
regular office or if i need office professional. i have to write papers in
spanish and need the spelling/grammar-check feature. i don't know if this
feature is available on all editions of office. can anyone help me out?

Doug Robbins

The difference between the Standard version of Office and the Professional
version is that the latter includes Microsoft Access which is a database
program.

To learn more about the subject that interests you, see
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...fingtools.mspx

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"pia" wrote in message
i just bought a computer and need office, but i don't know if i can use
regular office or if i need office professional. i have to write papers
in
spanish and need the spelling/grammar-check feature. i don't know if this
feature is available on all editions of office. can anyone help me out?

Pop

Those tools are identical between Home and Pro. For what you intend to =
do, far as I can tell, Home will serve you well. The major differences =
between the two are network abilities; Pro has much mroe ability and =
functionality. =20

If you go to microsoft.com and look over the two versions I think there =
is a comparison page what will show you in a chart how they compare. If =
not, Google should easily find something that would suffice. =20

Pop

pia wrote:
i just bought a computer and need office, but i don't know if i can
use regular office or if i need office professional. i have to write
papers in spanish and need the spelling/grammar-check feature. i
don't know if this feature is available on all editions of office.
can anyone help me out?=20

--=20
---
I may or may not know what I'm saying, but if I
have nothing to say, that's what I say!

As the others have said, any version of Word or Office will do what you
need. English versions of Word come with proofing tools for English,
Spanish, and French; be sure that you install the Spanish ones. Then, when
you need to spell check in Spanish, format the language as Spanish by
selecting it, going to Tools | Language | Set Language and selecting
Spanish.

"pia" wrote in message
i just bought a computer and need office, but i don't know if i can use
regular office or if i need office professional. i have to write papers

in
spanish and need the spelling/grammar-check feature. i don't know if this
feature is available on all editions of office. can anyone help me out?

TF

Assuming the user is using a US version of Office (Word)!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: As the others have said, any version of Word or Office will do what you
: need. English versions of Word come with proofing tools for English,
: Spanish, and French; be sure that you install the Spanish ones. Then, when
: you need to spell check in Spanish, format the language as Spanish by
: selecting it, going to Tools | Language | Set Language and selecting
: Spanish.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "pia" wrote in message
: ...
: i just bought a computer and need office, but i don't know if i can use
: regular office or if i need office professional. i have to write papers
: in
: spanish and need the spelling/grammar-check feature. i don't know if
this
: feature is available on all editions of office. can anyone help me out?
:
:

No, I'm serious. My understanding is that the English-language version
includes English, Spanish, and French proofing tools. I have not been under
the impression that a different English-language version is sold in the U.S.
and the U.K. (since the English proofing tools include both US and UK
versions).

[...]

: : "pia" wrote in message
: : ...
: : i just bought a computer and need office, but i don't know if i

can
: use
: : regular office or if i need office professional. i have to write
: papers
: : in
: : spanish and need the spelling/grammar-check feature. i don't know
if
: this
: : feature is available on all editions of office. can anyone help me
: out?
: :
: :
:
:
:

TF

Suzanne

We get only English (UK, US & Aus) and French. Spanish is not included in
the UK version.

Terry

[...]
: : :
: : : --
: : : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : : Words into Type
: : : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: : newsgroup
: : so
: : : all may benefit.
: : :
: : : "pia" wrote in message
: : : ...
[...]

How bizarre! Are you sure? Or do you just not have Spanish installed? See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=821416, which certainly seems to imply
that English and Spanish are included with all English versions.* And my
understanding is that the "English" proofing tools (except Australian) are
the same for U.S., U.K., etc., differing only depending on your Windows
locale setting.

*"The following steps describe how to install the French and Spanish
spelling and grammar tools that are included in the English version of
Office 2003."

[...]

: : : "pia" wrote in message
: : : ...
[...]

TF

Suzanne

I'll check this out as soon as I have some spare time. It may be the case
you suggest because I go to great lengths to ensure that the only language
installed on my computer is English (UK), but this seems to be a never
ending battle as MS software tries to install everything as English (US) by
default!

Terry

[...]
: : : :
: : : : --
: : : : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : : : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : : : Words into Type
: : : : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : : : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : : : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
: : : newsgroup
: : : so
: : : : all may benefit.
: : : :
: : : : "pia" wrote in message
[...]

There is no way to ensure that "the only language installed on [your]
computer is English (UK)," as the "English" proofing tools include US, UK,
and Canadian English. The language used is determined by your Control Panel
language setting.

[...]