~D~

Default Bookmarks and cross-referencing..what am I doing wrong?

WordXP

I created a bookmark that references a paragraph in my document.

I then create the cross-reference (Insert, Reference, CrossReference,
Bookmark, etc.) and click on the correct bookmark..on the right side it
saids "bookmark text". I thought it would put the name of the bookmark in
the document but nothing shows up.

Am I doing something wrong? I have done this 3x on brand new documents.

Thank you.

Doug Robbins

It will display the text that is INSIDE the bookmark. Turn on the display
of Bookmarks under ToolsOptionsView and the text that should be referred
to will be enclosed inside a pair of grey square brackets [ ]. If rather
that appearing like that, the bookmark appears just as a single vertical
line |, then there is not text enclosed inside the bookmark to be displayd
by the REF field. The other thing that may need to be done is to update the
fields in the document (Ctrl+a, then F9)

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"~D~" wrote in message
WordXP

I created a bookmark that references a paragraph in my document.

I then create the cross-reference (Insert, Reference, CrossReference,
Bookmark, etc.) and click on the correct bookmark..on the right side it
saids "bookmark text". I thought it would put the name of the bookmark in
the document but nothing shows up.

Am I doing something wrong? I have done this 3x on brand new documents.

Thank you.

~D~

Doug,

Thank you for responding..I must still be doing something wrong.

I created my bookmark and it gave the single gray vertical bar.

I then clicked on "Insert, Reference, Cross Reference", "Reference
Type=Bookmark" "Reference To:=Bookmark Text".

I went to Tools, Options View.."bookmark" was turned on.

The document still does not input anything.

Am I missing a step..you mentioned something about REF codes which I am
unfamiliar.

Thank you in advance.

~D~

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
It will display the text that is INSIDE the bookmark. Turn on the display
of Bookmarks under ToolsOptionsView and the text that should be referred
to will be enclosed inside a pair of grey square brackets [ ]. If rather
that appearing like that, the bookmark appears just as a single vertical
line |, then there is not text enclosed inside the bookmark to be displayd
by the REF field. The other thing that may need to be done is to update

the
fields in the document (Ctrl+a, then F9)

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP