MB_

Default Disk Full error (when it's not) -- what caused this

I use WORD '97.

Today, whule working on a document, I suddenly got a pop-up that kept saying
something like it can't make a backup file. When I tried to save the .doc it
kept saying disk full, close all open programs, etc. I tried to save it on a
floppy, a CD, and a flash drive and I kept getting the same message.

For what it is worth the .doc did have a number of images in it (equations
from Math Type), but I've often had MANY more, so I don't know if that is
relevant. The .doc was about 7 pages when this suddenly happened.

Anyway, I was able to save the day by opening a different version of WORD (I
think WORD 2002) that I happened to have on my disk (I just prefer WORD 97).
I then copied the file to the newer version of WORD and it saved the file
without problems. I then rebooted my machine, opened WORD 97, and it was
able to open the file. I continued working on the file and everything went
normally including saving the file.

ANY IDEAS ON WHAT WENT WRONG. It was getting to be quite a concern as all my
options were going down the tubes until I thought of opening up the newer
version of WORD. I just don't want it to happen again. I've been using WORD
97 for about 5 years with these type of documents and nothing like this has
ever happened before.

Mel

MB_

Well, folks, after posting this I did a Google search and found lots of
stuff on this. Apparently, some Math Type object got corrupted and the
document I saw gave me a good workaround.

Very interesting!

Mel