AlSchultz

Default Stop Styles?

Is there any way to stop the annoying (to me, at least) proliferation of
styles in Word 2002? I usually have my own collection of styles I use and
have my templates prepared accordingly. I have Styles set NOT to update or
to add to the template--unless I really want to. But after working with any
document for a while it seems that nearly every style ends up with multiple
variations of itself. Thus Style1 begets Style1 Underline, Style1 10 pts,
Style1 Italics, ad nauseam. I have never seen this problem in previous
versions of Word--such as Word 2000 or even Word 97. (And if we created the
Word 2002 document through scanning and OCR I get hundreds of styles!!!)

These are not styles but "formatting." If you don't want to be distracted by
these listings, clear the check box for "Keep track of formatting" on the
Edit tab of Tools | Options. But note that they're Word's way of chastizing
you for applying direct formatting to paragraphs. If you are changing a lot
of paragraphs in the same way, they probably deserve a new style.