Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tonyb tonyb is offline

Default How Insert a useable check box in a fax header

I have a fax header that I created for my company in Word 2000. I used to be
able to double click a check box and it would show a tick in the box next to
its relevent request (Urgent, Reply, For review, please reply, etc.) I have
tried to use this header in Word 2007 but the boxes won't check anymore, and
I don't want to have to create a new fax header. The template has been tried
in the original Word format and the new Word 2007 format, it just won't work
correctly. I've tried changing field codes and even copying and pasting the
equivalent from newer Word 2007 templates, but just can't get this to work
correctly.

Can someone please tell me what has gone wrong and give e step by step
instructions on how to fix this please.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Summer Summer is offline

Word 2007 still has legacy codes for Formfield Protected Documents I see no
problem if it was correctly set up in first instance.

I did File New Templates and Chose Urban Fax - I notice (and I like it
better and do use this myself on some templates) that MS sample has now gone
with what most people would do which is decide if it was URGENT RECYCLE etc
after fax is printed and some people do check boxes as they write the fax
(depends who author is) - so they have used a table which is the best thing
to do. I use an URGENT stamp so check boxes are not really used in my fax
templates.

They have a 2 col table with a border on the first column (box), say 0.5¨
wide and in second col they have URGENT. This is a better solution really -
the new controls have been used to TAB to each variable such as Name Fax
Number you can move down and put a TICK or an X in the Urgent box with a pen
or onscreen of course with a Symbol Tick or an X as you see fit. Not
everyone was happy having to put an X check in a formfield box.

I am not a form protected fan (just me) which is now considered legacy code
in 2007. Checkboxes are a PITA as far as I am concerned and open checkboxes
drawn with a table are very easy to use.

Perhaps it is time to review your templates and stop Forfield Protecting
them to enable checkboxes.

There is also building blocks autotext text and VBA.

Urgent

Please review

Please comment

For your records

Hope this helps.

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Summer Summer is offline

The template you refer to is an MS Fax template with 2000 installation you
need the MacroButton code check/uncheck symbol to stay attached to the .dot
template.

Hope this helps.

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tonyb tonyb is offline

Thanks for the reply Summer, I am afraid this doesn't seem to be getting me
any further, I can't see a Macrobutton labled check/uncheck in the list
available. I'm still stuck, and not that conversant with the workings of form
fields or Macro's. I need the idiots answer to this, if I am to get it sorted
out or I am going to have to make a new Fax template (I tried - it didn't go
to well)

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Summer Summer is offline

Someone else might step in I hope and help you further. I have no time just
now (shall follow up later) if noone else is able to assist.

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Summer Summer is offline

This link to an MVP web site will tell you want you need to do to new 2007
template for check boxes

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Add_Toggle_Objects.htm

It is a great site...

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Summer Summer is offline

In 2007 to make do while you are working go to Ribbon
Insert
Symbol
More Symbols (unless X or Blank box shows)
Wingdings
Locate Box with cross and insert.

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tonyb tonyb is offline

Thanks, it would be great if I could actually understand what its going on
about or were actually able to find any of the stuff mentioned.

I am beginning to regret buying Office 2007, its a complete pain to have to
re-learn eveything that is familar to you.

Well done Microsoft - your new software TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I hate it.

And while I'm in RANT mode - why in the hell does Office 2007 wipe out spell
check from Outlook Express? What a poor piece of programing.

"TonyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tonyb tonyb is offline

OK Summer I tried to figure it all out, but went wrong somewhere, far to
complicated and I have no knowledge of VBA. I think that I have found a
solution (copy and paste a symbol from the Symols menu) its not what I wanted
but it will have to do for now.