Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Trainer Trainer is offline

Default Remove Change Styles in 07

Using Word 2007, is there a way to permanently remove the "Change Styles" in
the Styles Group on the Home tab of the Ribbon Bar? We do not want our
users to use the Style Sets and the phrase 'Change Styles' looks too much
like "Modify Styles." I wish it wasn't so conspicuous. We have customized
the "Quick Styles" to contain the styles they use. Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:38:05 -0500, "Trainer"
wrote:

Using Word 2007, is there a way to permanently remove the "Change Styles" in
the Styles Group on the Home tab of the Ribbon Bar? We do not want our
users to use the Style Sets and the phrase 'Change Styles' looks too much
like "Modify Styles." I wish it wasn't so conspicuous. We have customized
the "Quick Styles" to contain the styles they use. Thank you,

Much as I dislike abetting dictators, something like that can be done.

Click the dialog launcher on the Styles group (or press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) to open the Styles task pane, then click the third
button at the bottom to open the Manage Styles dialog.

In the list of styles, select all the styles that should not be used,
and click the Restrict button -- or if it would be quicker, click
Select All and Restrict, then select the allowed styles and click the
Permit button.

Check the four boxes at the bottom (or maybe leave the one about
AutoFormat unchecked). Select the "New documents based on this
template" option button. When you click OK, you'll be offered the
opportunity to password-protect the style settings.

This won't remove the "Change Styles" button (all built-in ribbon
groups are unchangeable), but all the menu items attached to it will
be grayed out.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Trainer Trainer is offline

Very, very nice. Thank you for pointing me to that Restrict Button. That's
exactly what I needed. I clicked "Block Quick Style Set Switching" and
"Block Theme or Scheme Switching" and now all is well. Thank you very much.
And I shall be a benevolent dictator while maintaining control over our
styles! This newsgroup is so important because many times it's the only
place where I can find the answers to problems - and quickly at that.