Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] asa@cronqvi.st is offline

Default Linking a numbered paragraph to a numbered heading in Word 2007

I have read Shauna Kelly's comprehensive article on numbering:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. I am
now trying to apply it to Word 2007. I would like for my numbered
paragraph to restart after I make a new heading. Like this:

1. Heading 1
(1) Sub-heading 1
(2) Sub-heading 1
2. Heading 1
(1) Sub-heading 1

This will all be used in six templates with many styles and 4
different sub-headings (Alpha, Alpha caps, Roman, Arabic) that should
all restart after the headings, not just after Heading 1, but also
after Heading 2, 3, 4.

I have tried many ways to create the numbered styles, and since I want
to be able to modify them, I've found that I like to define a new list
style (multilevel list) and then link the list style to my style (e.g.
Heading 1). I've based my subheadings on Heading 1. But that hasn't
helped. And even if that would help, it probably wouldn't help to
restart numbering after Headings 1,2,3.

I think I need a real expert to help me with this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

I have quickly created the numbering scheme you want to achieve.
I think the first thing to say is that when you create the different
numbering "look" you do this within the Numbering customising dialog for
Heading 1, AND only Heading 1, and by using the Level number on the left of
the dialog, you edit these to reflect the numbering look you want for the
subsequent heading numbers, this ensures that they automatically change as
the previous heading changes.
This is described in Shanua Kelly's section 2 Para 5 "define the numbering
you want for ALL your numbering levels without leaving the dialog box"

Come back if you have any further problems.
DeanH