Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Julia Julia is offline

Default Continuous section break changing to new page break in merge

Hello-
Posted this in the layout section, but have not received a solution...

I am formatting a document (a legal pleading) for a client that is going
to be populated via mail merge from a third party program. The way the
program works is we use a Word macro to call a "standard" document which only
contains an "INCLUDETEXT" statement. The "INCLUDETEXT" contains one merge
code. The merge code contains a variable gets populated with the name of a
specific document to be merged (passed to it from the 3rd party program). The
"INCLUDETEXT" inserts the requested document into the standard doc and the
macro merges that document with the data from a source document. Confused
yet? ;-) This approach allows us to use one macro to merge any number of
different documents.

I have to put a continuous section break at the top and bottom of the
document to preserve the page numbering, which is formatted via a table in
the header . The problem is that the continuous section break at the end of
the doc is getting converted to a section break new page, and an additional
section break continuous is inserted, so I get two blank pages at the end of
my document.

Any ideas to fix this?
TIA-
Julia
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins Doug Robbins is offline

It should not be necessary to insert the Continuous Section Breaks to
control the page numbering. Without seeing your actual documents, I can't
however offer any suggestion about how to overcome the problem, other than
to suggest code to remove the last Next Page Section Break.

Of course Mail Merge is probably not the correct tool to be using for your
application.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Julia" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Julia Julia is offline

My apologies, Doug- I misspoke (misswrote?).

I have the section break top & bottom to preserve *line* numbering (via a
table in the header), not *page* numbering. I found that solution at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm posted by Suzanne.

Unfortunately, mail merge is the way we generate documents from our
application (our software also has to be able to accommodate our customers
that use WordPerfect as their word processing software). I did not write the
program- I just have to make it work for this customer. :-(