Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Default Tools/Options choice insists on thinking for itself - help appreciated

Every day, or so it seems, I untick "Horizontal scroll bar" from
Tools/Options - and every next day, when I load Word, there it is again.

It infuriates me that the software won't behave the way I tell it to. Is
there any way of making that particular option stick?

I'm using Word 2000 under Windows XP Pro.

Many thanks,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This can occur if there is minor corruption in the Word data key in the
registry, but a simple cure is to add the line
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
to both an autonew and an autopen macro in normal.dot

Bert Coules wrote:
Every day, or so it seems, I untick "Horizontal scroll bar" from
Tools/Options - and every next day, when I load Word, there it is
again.
It infuriates me that the software won't behave the way I tell it to.
Is there any way of making that particular option stick?

I'm using Word 2000 under Windows XP Pro.

Many thanks,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham Mayor wrote:

This can occur if there is minor corruption in the Word data key in the
registry...

Thanks for the info and the cure. Much appreciated. But I'm a little
concerned at the prospect of corruption in the Registry, even if it is only
minor. Wouldn't I be better off trying to correct the source of the
problem, rather than applying a fix?

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want to fix the registry (and if this is the only problem you are
having with tools options I wouldn't bother) you can rename the data key
to olddata. You can see how to access the key at
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm - remember that Word 2000
is Word 9!
Note that by renaming this key, you will revert a lot of settings to
defaults. Not only tools options but your autocorrect options and your
autoformat as you type options - so make a note of them FIRST!.
If it doesn't fix the problem (test before making all the changes), you can
always delete the new data key and rename your old one back again then
revert to Plan A

Bert Coules wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:

This can occur if there is minor corruption in the Word data key in
the registry...

Thanks for the info and the cure. Much appreciated. But I'm a little
concerned at the prospect of corruption in the Registry, even if it
is only minor. Wouldn't I be better off trying to correct the source
of the problem, rather than applying a fix?

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham Mayor wrote:

If you want to fix the registry (and if this is the only problem you are
having with tools options I wouldn't bother)...

I've certainly not noticed anything else, so perhaps you're right and the
wisest course is to leave things as they are.

Thanks,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you get around to installing Word 2003, you will find that the tools
options settings are rather more volatile and you may then need to force a
whole raft of settings with auto macros

Bert Coules wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:

If you want to fix the registry (and if this is the only problem you
are having with tools options I wouldn't bother)...

I've certainly not noticed anything else, so perhaps you're right and
the wisest course is to leave things as they are.

Thanks,

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham Mayor wrote:

If you get around to installing Word 2003, you will find that the tools
options settings are rather more volatile and you may then need to force a
whole raft of settings with auto macros

Which sounds like an excellent reason *not* to install Word 2003!

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk