Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jewell jewell is offline

Default Merging multiple lines

I have a data source that contains student information that has about 6
thousand rows. I need to merge the data into a document that inserts each
class they are attending then insert a page break at each student. The goal
is to printout student schedules by period, course name, teacher and room
number. The data source puts these fields in rows which is sorted by student
ID# then student name. I don't know to pull in the multiple lines for each
student to begin with. It was suggested I create a macro but have no clue
what I need the macro to do. I tried using the IF.....then but not getting
any results. I don't know how to get the multiple lines to merge then break
when the student ID# changes. Here's a data sample below and then what I'm
hoping to do in a mail merge:

DATA SOURCE SAMPLE
ID# Lname Fname Per Course Rm Tchr
1 Smith Jack 01 Gym Gym Mr.
Oliver
1 Smith Jack 02 Algebra 109 Ms. Kate
1 Smith Jack 03 Off Assist Off Mr.
Cooper
1 Smith Jack 04 Lunch Lch
1 Smith Jack 05 Science 218 Mrs.
Morten
3 Brown Susie 02 Pottery 328 Mr. Clay
3 Brown Susie 03 Adv. Math 233 Ms. Fulton
ECT....

MAIL MERGE RESULTS

STUDENT ID# 1 STUDENT NAME Smith, Jack FRONT RANGE HIGH 2006
PERIOD 02 Algebra 109 TEACHER Ms. Kate
PERIOD 03 Off Assist Off TEACHER Mr.
Cooper
PERIOD 04 Lunch
PERIOD 05 Science 218 TEACHER Mrs.
Morten

************************* page break *********************

STUDENT ID# 3 STUDENT NAME Brown, Susis FRONT RANGE HIGH 2006
PERIOD 02 Pottery 328 TEACHER
Mr. Clay
PERIOD 03 Adv. Math 233 TEACHER Ms.
Fulton

--
jewell
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you are trying to perform a "multiple items per condition (=key
field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jewell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jewell jewell is offline

I actually tried doing what the article says last week but I'm not sure if
I'm doing it right or understand what the commands do. The IF statement is
underderstandable but I don't understand the SET function. Is there another
website you can point me to that will give me a very comprehensive
understanding of what and how to use this functions.

Do you think there's something I can do with the data file previous to
linking it to a mail merge that might help me with the results I need?
--
jewell