Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B B is offline

Default Styles change automatically after closing the document

I have used some styles in my document that I have created. For some reason,
after closing the document and opening it again, the styles have all changed.
This doesn't always happen. If my colleague updates the document and I get it
back the formats have changed eventhough he hasn't purposely altered the
formats. Why does this happen? How can I lock my formats so that his changes
doesn't alter them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Turn off the "Automatically update document styles" option in the Templates
and Add-Ins dialog box.

To display the dialog box:

- Tools | Templates and Add-Ins (Word 2003).

- In Word 2007, click the Document Template button on the Developer tab of
the ribbon. (To display the Developer tab, check the "Show Developer tab
in the Ribbon" option in Office button | Word Options, Popular category.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"B" wrote in message
I have used some styles in my document that I have created. For some
reason,
after closing the document and opening it again, the styles have all
changed.
This doesn't always happen. If my colleague updates the document and I get
it
back the formats have changed eventhough he hasn't purposely altered the
formats. Why does this happen? How can I lock my formats so that his
changes
doesn't alter them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

Are your styles saved in your normal template, or just with that document?
You can check Macros, then organizer to check.

"B" wrote in message
I have used some styles in my document that I have created. For some
reason,
after closing the document and opening it again, the styles have all
changed.
This doesn't always happen. If my colleague updates the document and I get
it
back the formats have changed eventhough he hasn't purposely altered the
formats. Why does this happen? How can I lock my formats so that his
changes
doesn't alter them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_151_] Henk57[_151_] is offline

-

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
-
Turn off the "Automatically update document styles" option in the
Templates
and Add-Ins dialog box.

To display the dialog box:

- Tools | Templates and Add-Ins (Word 2003).

- In Word 2007, click the Document Template button on the Developer
tab of
the ribbon. (To display the Developer tab, check the "Show Developer
tab
in the Ribbon" option in Office button | Word Options, Popular
category.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"B" wrote in message
...-
I have used some styles in my document that I have created. For some
reason,
after closing the document and opening it again, the styles have
all
changed.
This doesn't always happen. If my colleague updates the document and
I get
it
back the formats have changed eventhough he hasn't purposely altered
the
formats. Why does this happen? How can I lock my formats so that
his
changes
doesn't alter them?-

--

When you made the changes, did you tick "Add to template" in the Style
formatting box? Otherwise you'll use the formatting after you close

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Perhaps your colleague added direct formatting to text? Select it and press
Ctrl+SpaceBar (clears direct font formatting). Does that help?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"B" wrote in message
I have used some styles in my document that I have created. For some
reason,
after closing the document and opening it again, the styles have all
changed.
This doesn't always happen. If my colleague updates the document and I get
it
back the formats have changed eventhough he hasn't purposely altered the
formats. Why does this happen? How can I lock my formats so that his
changes
doesn't alter them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B B is offline

Thanks All, I think you may all be right. Firstly, how does one make sure
that you save the template to the normal template? Is it when you click " Add
to templates" in the styles format? Where do I find the normal template? If I
then show all available formatting in any document, will this style I've
added feature?

Got another strange thing that happened just now when I tried clicking " Add
to template" in a new style I created: After clicking "ok", when I opened the
style to modify again, the "save to template" was unmarked. Is this normal?
Thanks

"B" wrote in message
I have used some styles in my document that I have created. For some
reason,
after closing the document and opening it again, the styles have all
changed.
This doesn't always happen. If my colleague updates the document and I get
it
back the formats have changed eventhough he hasn't purposely altered the
formats. Why does this happen? How can I lock my formats so that his
changes
doesn't alter them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"B" wrote in message
Thanks All, I think you may all be right. Firstly, how does one make sure
that you save the template to the normal template? Is it when you click "
Add
to templates" in the styles format? Where do I find the normal template?
If I
then show all available formatting in any document, will this style I've
added feature?

"Add to template" adds a *style* to the attached template, which is
normal.dot unless you specifically chose a different one. In other words,
you usually don't need to access the template directly. (Note, however, that
if you want to add *contents* to a template, then you should open it as a
document, via the File | Open dialog box. You can find normal.dot by
searching for it in Windows; make sure to search in hidden files and
folders.)

Got another strange thing that happened just now when I tried clicking "
Add
to template" in a new style I created: After clicking "ok", when I opened
the
style to modify again, the "save to template" was unmarked. Is this
normal?

Yes, this is quite normal. Style settings are only transferred to the
template when you explicitly tell Word to do so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks