John Sykes

Default Word 2000 can't save to CD-RW after upgrading OS to XP

Have a Compaq presario w/ a CD-RW that always worked fine with Windows ME.
Just upgraded the operating system to XP-Professional, now Word will not save
documents to the CD-RW and I have to save everything to the hard drive. That
leaves me no way to back up the file to CD. Any solutions?

Thanks.
Graham Mayor

It was always bad practice to save to removable media. Now Microsoft has
shut the door. Save to the hard drive and copy to the disc. Always open and
print directly from the hard drive also.

John Sykes wrote:
Have a Compaq presario w/ a CD-RW that always worked fine with
Windows ME. Just upgraded the operating system to XP-Professional,
now Word will not save documents to the CD-RW and I have to save
everything to the hard drive. That leaves me no way to back up the
file to CD. Any solutions?

Thanks.

John Sykes

Tried that, get an error message:

"Windows does not support this CD-RW format. To use this disc, Erase this
CD-RW, which will format this disc so that Windows can use it."

This was not necessary for the laptop I have, which also runs
XP-Professional, and in fact is the computer I used to format the disc in the
first place.

Are there any other alternatives? Thanks.

John Sykes wrote:
Have a Compaq presario w/ a CD-RW that always worked fine with
Windows ME. Just upgraded the operating system to XP-Professional,
now Word will not save documents to the CD-RW and I have to save
everything to the hard drive. That leaves me no way to back up the
file to CD. Any solutions?

Thanks.

Graham Mayor

Erase the disc as instructed, then use your disc mastering software eg Nero
to write multisessions in ISO format to the disc. This is the most reliable
method of saving data to RW discs. Any other method is too flaky to provide
consistent reliability and compatibility. Better still don't use rewritable
discs at all. Stick with write once discs, which are now very cheap.

If you want to use the original format, you will need to install and use the
software that you used to format the disc and disable Windows XPs burning
tool.