Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
exit17

Default How do I fix Word 2003 failing to start EXCEL32.CNV?

When trying to open an Excel 2003 worksheet in Word 2003 to obtain mailing
label data, Word complains "Word cannot start the converter EXCEL32.CNV."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Office 2003 was completely installed,
updated recently with SP2.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Is the file still present? It should be in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv
Recent updates have removed or replaced this file for security reasons. The
old file is linked from the downloads page of my web site.

exit17 wrote:
When trying to open an Excel 2003 worksheet in Word 2003 to obtain
mailing label data, Word complains "Word cannot start the converter
EXCEL32.CNV."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Office 2003 was completely
installed, updated recently with SP2.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
exit17

In fact, the file is not present.

I checked your site's links but couldn't find the file.

It's disturbing MS would remove a file that helps with interoperability of
its 'suite' programs and not make a clear disclaimer whenever it was removed
- at least, I didn't know this capability was removed. This means, I guess,
we can no longer open microsoft excel data with microsoft word? What's
wrong with this picture?

thanks for replying,
Sam

exit17 wrote:
When trying to open an Excel 2003 worksheet in Word 2003 to obtain
mailing label data, Word complains "Word cannot start the converter
EXCEL32.CNV."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Office 2003 was completely
installed, updated recently with SP2.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The file is available from the downloads page of my web site - File
Converters for Word - Excel Converter.

exit17 wrote:
When trying to open an Excel 2003 worksheet in Word 2003 to obtain
mailing label data, Word complains "Word cannot start the converter
EXCEL32.CNV."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Office 2003 was completely
installed, updated recently with SP2.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
exit17

THanks, but the only thing I found on your site under Downloads/File
Converters, besides an HTML converter, is a link to MS website for the Office
Resource Kit.

exit17 wrote:
When trying to open an Excel 2003 worksheet in Word 2003 to obtain
mailing label data, Word complains "Word cannot start the converter
EXCEL32.CNV."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Office 2003 was completely
installed, updated recently with SP2.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I have no idea whose web site you are looking at, but it bears no relation
to mine
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm