Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Holst Holst is offline

Default Word 2007: Search and replace with superscript/subscript characters

I am an all new user of Word 2007 and there's a lot of things I don't
know about. Until recently, I was a user of WordPerfect 5.1 - a superb
word processer.

Right now I am working on a quite long text, concerning chemistry.

I this text both superscript and subscript appears. For example, a
methyl group, -CH3, where '3' is in subscript. Likewise, cubic meters,
m3, where '3' is in superscript, are often mentioned in the text. As
well as a lot of other occurances with 3's as well as other numbers.

Unfortunately none of these superscript and subscript numbers are
displayed as such. All is just displayed as regular text. I then have to
make all these numbers superscript or subscript.

Using WordPerfect 5.1 I would do two replace operations to correct the
-CH3 and m3 problem, ie.

SEARCH: CH3
REPLACE: CHSUBSCRIPT3subscript

SEARCH: m3
REPLACE: mSUPERSCRIPT3superscript

Easy and fast.

But now I am using Word 2007, and I have no idea how to accomplish this.

I have learned how I could make all 3's in superscript, however some 3's
must be subscript and other 3's should be left untouched. I therefore
need to search for "CH3" and replace this with normal "CH" and a
subscript "3".

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Format the combination in your document as desired. Select and copy it to
the Clipboard (Ctrl+C). Then use ^c (Clipboard contents) in the "Replace
with" box in the Find and Replace dialog.

"Holst" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Holst Holst is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Format the combination in your document as desired. Select and copy it to
the Clipboard (Ctrl+C). Then use ^c (Clipboard contents) in the "Replace
with" box in the Find and Replace dialog.

Thanks a lot.

I had myself tried CTRL-C and then CTRL-V in the "Replace with" box but
that didn't work. But your solution works, so thanks a lot.