Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Default Locking Restart Numbering Level

Word 2003

On occasion I work with rather lengthy documents which may be comprised of
more than several additional Exhibits.

On each of the individual Exhibit documents the Level 1 number is set to
begin with the No. 1. However, when these Exhibits are incorporated into the
main document, the numbering of Level 1 in the Exhibit changes in order to
continue with whatever the last Level 1 number may have been within the main
document.

For example, if the main document ends with Section No. 51, the next exhibit
that is pulled into the main document will begin with Section No. 52 as
opposed to remaining at Section No. 1

Is there any way to *lock* the numbering setup on the individual Exhibits so
as to ensure that the numbering setup maintains the Section No. 1 even after
its incorporation into the main document?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a better approach regarding this
scenario?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can convert the Exhibit numbers to text. Be sure to keep a copy of the
original document, in case you need to update the numbering later.

To convert numbers to text: Select the text. Press Alt+F11 to display the
Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to display the Immediate window. Type:

Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText

and press Enter. Then apply an un-numbered style to the text, before copying
it into the main document. (Repeat for each additional source document.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Stefan:

Once again my sincere appreciation to you for solving a dilemma that would
have remained unsolved by me - until such time as I get a better handle on
VBA.

Thanks - Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DonD DonD is offline

Thanks!

I was able to add a 15 page check list to the end of a procedure. The one
thing I don't get is the following: "Then apply an un-numbered style to the
text, before copying it into the main document". When it comes to the Style
and Format window I'm totally lost. It still worked, but I did have to do a
lot of clean up and I had to replace the missing headers and footers, but
this is better that using "print Screen" to paste "Word" attachments into a
"Word" document.

"RPMitchal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, when you convert numbers to text, numbering is cleared from the text
paragraphs and replaced with static numbers (as if you typed them from the
keyboard). However, assuming that numbering was attached to styles, the
numbering formatting is still in the paragraph style definition, which means
that it can be restored if someone selects the text and presses Ctrl+Q (the
ResetPara command).

You can avoid this (potential) problem by applying un-numbered styles to
text, making sure that these styles look the same as the original ones
(except for the numbering setting, of course). If it is working fine for
you, you don't have to do this extra step, but you should be aware of the
complication--especially if you are not the only editor of the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP