Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kandy1216 kandy1216 is offline

Default Is there someplace that shows what all the formatting marks mean?

I am using a Word document that I didn't set up and turned on the formatting
so I could see what the author did. However, I don't know what all those
symbols mean--is there someplace that explains them? Thanks! Kandy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're using Word 2007, a number of them can be seen by choosing Office
button - Word Options - Display. A larger discussion and sampling of Word's
non-printing formatting marks can be found he

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...894821033.aspx

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"kandy1216" wrote in message
I am using a Word document that I didn't set up and turned on the
formatting
so I could see what the author did. However, I don't know what all those
symbols mean--is there someplace that explains them? Thanks! Kandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roccogrand roccogrand is offline

Kandy,

Start by adding Formatting to your interface. Click Tools and check
Formatting.

Now find the Style field, usually shows Normal depending on where your
cursor is located.

Click the down caret and select More.

In the new dialog box, you can Modify, Clear, Create, or Reveal Formatting
to interrogate styles.

HTH (I tried sending a similar message a few minutes ago and the server was
overloaded at the time so if you get two responses from me, that is the
reason.)

LN

"kandy1216" wrote:

I am using a Word document that I didn't set up and turned on the formatting
so I could see what the author did. However, I don't know what all those
symbols mean--is there someplace that explains them? Thanks! Kandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
roccogrand roccogrand is offline

Kandy,

As I think about your question more, Herb's reply is better than mine.

LN

"kandy1216" wrote:

I am using a Word document that I didn't set up and turned on the formatting
so I could see what the author did. However, I don't know what all those
symbols mean--is there someplace that explains them? Thanks! Kandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kandy1216 kandy1216 is offline

Default Is there someplace that shows what all the formatting marks me

Oops, I forgot to mention I was using Word 2007. But I found where to do
those things so you still helped me! Thanks, Kandy

"kandy1216" wrote:

I am using a Word document that I didn't set up and turned on the formatting
so I could see what the author did. However, I don't know what all those
symbols mean--is there someplace that explains them? Thanks! Kandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, you'll find a lot of worthwhile articles there.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm. For the

various
wavy lines, try entering "wavy lines" in Word's Help box.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.