Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MMAP HQ MMAP HQ is offline

Default Buffalo Network hard drive

About 6 weeks ago we moved our corporate data from a pc's hard drive to a
buffalo network hard drive (NHD). Everything seemed to be working ok. Today
I found out that linked documents into another document does not work. We
normally link a heading into all our form documents. In the past we could
change the heading & the changes would show up in the form document when
word brought up the form document. But no more :-). I also found out that
making a file read only no longer works when the file is on the NHD. I can
set the property read only but when I bring it up again the read only is
gone. Anyone got an idea or where to start? TIA

--
_________
MMAP HQ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You appear to have 2 issues here
1. The linking - which is probably simply attrutable to the fact that the
links are still looking to the old hard drive location. You will have to
change the links to the new location.
2. This is a file permissions issue and nothing to do with Word. I would
suggest that you ask in a forum for your operating system/network.

MMAP HQ wrote:
About 6 weeks ago we moved our corporate data from a pc's hard drive
to a buffalo network hard drive (NHD). Everything seemed to be
working ok. Today I found out that linked documents into another
document does not work. We normally link a heading into all our form
documents. In the past we could change the heading & the changes
would show up in the form document when word brought up the form
document. But no more :-). I also found out that making a file read
only no longer works when the file is on the NHD. I can set the
property read only but when I bring it up again the read only is
gone. Anyone got an idea or where to start? TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ted medin ted medin is offline

Graham Mayor wrote:
You appear to have 2 issues here
1. The linking - which is probably simply attrutable to the fact that the
links are still looking to the old hard drive location. You will have to
change the links to the new location.
2. This is a file permissions issue and nothing to do with Word. I would
suggest that you ask in a forum for your operating system/network.

1. yes i did relink to the new location but got no change in the doc
when i changed the linked object.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ben M. Schorr - MVP Ben M. Schorr - MVP is offline

The Buffalo devices have very poor support for file-level or
folder-level permissions. I wouldn't be surprised if you simply CAN'T
set an individual file as Read-Only.

In the past in order to give our clients Read-Only folders on a Buffalo
device we had to set up a totally separate share on the Buffalo and
assign the proper read-write/read-only permissions to that separate
share.

And yes, it's a hassle. And yes, we probably won't be deploying any
more Buffalo devices, even though we otherwise really like them, for our
business clients simply because their file/folder-level security support
is so poor.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"MMAP HQ" wrote in message
:

About 6 weeks ago we moved our corporate data from a pc's hard drive to a
buffalo network hard drive (NHD). Everything seemed to be working ok. Today
I found out that linked documents into another document does not work. We
normally link a heading into all our form documents. In the past we could
change the heading & the changes would show up in the form document when
word brought up the form document. But no more :-). I also found out that
making a file read only no longer works when the file is on the NHD. I can
set the property read only but when I bring it up again the read only is
gone. Anyone got an idea or where to start? TIA

--
_________
MMAP HQ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"MMAP HQ" wrote in message
:

About 6 weeks ago we moved our corporate data from a pc's hard drive to a
buffalo network hard drive (NHD). Everything seemed to be working ok.
Today
I found out that linked documents into another document does not work. We
normally link a heading into all our form documents. In the past we could
change the heading & the changes would show up in the form document when
word brought up the form document. But no more :-). I also found out that
making a file read only no longer works when the file is on the NHD. I
can
set the property read only but when I bring it up again the read only is
gone. Anyone got an idea or where to start? TIA

--
_________
MMAP HQ

Wonder what NHD u are going to. TIA

Lost on my hard drive xnwriter Microsoft Word Help 1 February 4th 07 03:44 AM
How I do a backup of a network drive in my hard disk Iliana Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 06 09:07 PM
Hard Drive Denise Microsoft Word Help 2 February 20th 06 03:50 AM
How do I copy from CD to hard drive Norine Microsoft Word Help 1 January 1st 06 12:11 AM
How do I save a file from my hard drive to a CD in my F drive? Big George Microsoft Word Help 2 January 26th 05 10:04 PM