Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mostly confused mostly confused is offline

Default Word 2007 Mail Merge losing number formatting

I am doing a mail merge in Word 2007 and I am losing the number formatting
from Excel. Copy & paste special is not an option as I need the data to
remain in Excel as it is.
--
mostly confused
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...
I am doing a mail merge in Word 2007 and I am losing the number formatting
from Excel. Copy & paste special is not an option as I need the data to
remain in Excel as it is.
--
mostly confused

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mostly confused mostly confused is offline

Doug,

Thanks, this did help however, it isn't working for my percentages. The
decimal ends up in the wrong place.
--
mostly confused

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...
I am doing a mail merge in Word 2007 and I am losing the number formatting
from Excel. Copy & paste special is not an option as I need the data to
remain in Excel as it is.
--
mostly confused

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The decimal shouldn't be in the wrong place if you follow the instructions,
however much depends on what the field produces without the calculation.

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...
I am doing a mail merge in Word 2007 and I am losing the number
formatting
from Excel. Copy & paste special is not an option as I need the data
remain in Excel as it is.
--
mostly confused

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mostly confused mostly confused is offline

When I tried the percentage { ={ MERGEFIELD Amount} * 100\# "0% "}, I get
"!Syntax Error, {"
--
mostly confused

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...
I am doing a mail merge in Word 2007 and I am losing the number
formatting
from Excel. Copy & paste special is not an option as I need the data
remain in Excel as it is.
--
mostly confused

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

All the special field brace pairs {} need to be the sort you can insert
using ctrl-F9. So you can do

1. ctrl-F9 to give you...

{ }

2. type
= * 100 \#0%
to give you

{ = * 100 \#0% }

3. click immediately after the "=" then click ctrl-F9 to give you
{ = { } * 100 \#0% }

4. Between the new { }, type
MERGEFIELD Amount

to give you

{ = { MERGEFIELD Amount } * 100 \#0% }

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 29/01/2010 16:53, mostly confused wrote:

When I tried the percentage { ={ MERGEFIELD Amount} * 100\# "0% "}, I get
"!Syntax Error, {"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mostly confused mostly confused is offline

Got it - my error CTRL F9 - works like a charm! Thank you, thank you, thank
you!!
--
mostly confused

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...
I am doing a mail merge in Word 2007 and I am losing the number
formatting
from Excel. Copy & paste special is not an option as I need the data
remain in Excel as it is.
--
mostly confused

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The requirement to use CTRL+F9 for field brackets is at the top of the web
page in a large red coloured typeface!

"mostly confused" wrote in
message ...