Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

Default IncludeText Problem

Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge
is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box with "Open
document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all
the attachments would be opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

hi Tom,

You could try adding the \! switch. This prevents the INCLUDETEXT field updating cross-references imported from the source document,
which may be all you need.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a
message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all the attachments would be
opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

The documents I am including have MERGEFIELDs in them also. Will the
MERGEFIELDs be updated in I use the switch?

Thanks,
Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box with
"Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I
thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Tom,

Provided you put in switch in the INCLUDETEXT field and not the MERGEIELD, I would expect so.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box with
"Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I
thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

I tried putting the \! switch in one of the INCLUDETEXT fields and I still
got the prompt to open a read-only copy and I also had an "Error! Bookmark
not defined" error for every merge field in the included document.

At this point, I don't guess there's anything to do to prevent the
'read-only' prompt.

Thanks,
Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box
with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only
so I thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Tom,

Can you post your field coding? You'll need to copy the text out of the fields and type the braces into your newsreader.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

IncludeText sonia New Users 5 September 10th 07 09:46 AM
using INCLUDETEXT? BrendaLL Microsoft Word Help 2 March 9th 06 06:42 AM
Word 2002 - problem wih linked items in INCLUDETEXT Michael Formatting Long Documents 13 May 30th 05 02:45 PM
INCLUDETEXT problem Michael Microsoft Word Help 1 April 25th 05 07:50 PM
IncludeText Janna Tables 0 February 19th 05 03:35 PM