Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rsw

Default Merge with Access Query

I hope that I can explain this correctly.
I have an Access XP Database the back end is in SQL.
On Form 1 we have users enter claim information including claim number
and then click a "Loss Notice" button that opens Form 2. There we have

them enter the claim number again (same number). They fill in the
additional information needed for the claim. Then we have them click
on a button that opens a Word Merge file. In the query we use for that

form we tell it to use the data that is on Form 2 in the claim number
field. Therefore, when it pulls into word it should just pull in the
info for the claim number that we are on.

The users have reported that occasionally (not always) they will get an

Enter Parameter Value box asking for the claim number from the form.
They type the claim number and all is fine.

In all the testing I have done I have NEVER got the Parameter box.
Does anyone have an idea as to why they are getting this box
occasionally? I also asked if they saw a pattern but they have not.

I am told that Word does not handle merge's with queries very well - is
this the case? Do you have any idea how I can get the parameter box to
not come up when connecting to Access.

ANY help would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It may be caused by the way in which some of the users are connecting to the
data source. That can be controlled by checking the box against "Confirm
conversions at open" under ToolsOptionsGeneral.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Can you post the SQL code for the query here please?

Peter Jamieson

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rsw

Thanks for the post.
However I don't see that option under toolsOptionsGeneral or anywhere
else in Tools and options.
I will keep looking.
Thanks again.
rsw

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
It may be caused by the way in which some of the users are connecting to the
data source. That can be controlled by checking the box against "Confirm
conversions at open" under ToolsOptionsGeneral.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rsw

Here is the SQL for the query. Thanks for looking.

SELECT dbo_AltLoss.[Claim Number], dbo_Register.[Policy Number],
dbo_Register.[Date Entered], dbo_Register.Initials, dbo_Register.[Date
of Loss], dbo_Register.[Cause of Loss], dbo_Register.[Status of Claim],
dbo_Register.[Closed Date], dbo_Register.[Insured Name],
dbo_Register.[Insured Address], dbo_Register.[Insured City],
dbo_Register.[Insured State], dbo_Register.[Insured Zip],
dbo_Register.[Insured Phone], dbo_Register.[Insured Phone2],
dbo_Register.Location, dbo_Register.[Claimant First Name],
dbo_Register.[Claimant Last Name], dbo_Register.[Claimant Address],
dbo_Register.[Claimant City], dbo_Register.[Claimant State],
dbo_Register.[Claimant Zip], dbo_Register.[Claimant Phone],
dbo_Register.[Claimant Phone2], dbo_Register.Injury,
dbo_Register.Label, dbo_Register.[Date Claim Rcvd], dbo_Register.[Date
Report Rcvd], dbo_Register.[Date Report Not Approved],
dbo_AltLoss.[Producer Name], dbo_AltLoss.[Producer Address],
dbo_AltLoss.[Producer City], dbo_AltLoss.[Producer State],
dbo_AltLoss.[Producer Zip], dbo_AltLoss.[Producer Phone],
dbo_AltLoss.[Producer Code], dbo_AltLoss.EffDate, dbo_AltLoss.ExpDate,
dbo_AltLoss.[Contact Name], dbo_AltLoss.[Contact Address],
dbo_AltLoss.[Contact CSZ], dbo_AltLoss.[Contact Phone1],
dbo_AltLoss.[Contact Phone2], dbo_AltLoss.Authority,
dbo_AltLoss.Description, dbo_AltLoss.[Claimant DOB],
dbo_AltLoss.[Claimant SS], FormatCurrency([PersAdvInj],0) AS
[Calc-PersAdvInj], FormatCurrency([PremiseLiab],0) AS
[Calc-PremiseLiab], FormatCurrency([Medical Expense],0) AS
[Calc-Medical Expense], FormatCurrency([Deductible],0) AS
[Calc-Deductible], dbo_AltLoss.Type, dbo_AltLoss.Injury,
dbo_AltLoss.Injury1, dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Name], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness
Address], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness CSZ], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Phone],
dbo_AltLoss.[Additional Information], dbo_AltLoss.[Reported By],
dbo_AltLoss.[Reported To], dbo_AltLoss.[DateTime Received],
FormatCurrency([OTC Deductible],0) AS [Calc-OTC Deductible],
FormatCurrency([Coll Deductible],0) AS [Calc-Coll Deductible],
dbo_AltLoss.[Other Coverage], dbo_AltLoss.[Insured Vehicle],
dbo_AltLoss.[Insured Driver], dbo_AltLoss.[Insured Phone],
dbo_AltLoss.Damage, dbo_AltLoss.LocationVeh, dbo_AltLoss.[Claimant
Vehicle], dbo_AltLoss.LocationVeh1, dbo_AltLoss.Damage1,
dbo_AltLoss.[Insurance Carrier], dbo_AltLoss.[Injured Name],
dbo_AltLoss.[Injured Name1], dbo_AltLoss.[Injured Address],
dbo_AltLoss.[Injured Address1], dbo_AltLoss.[Injured CSZ],
dbo_AltLoss.[Injured CSZ1], dbo_AltLoss.[Injured Phone],
dbo_AltLoss.[Injured Phone1], dbo_AltLoss.Veh1, dbo_AltLoss.Veh2,
dbo_AltLoss.NoInjuries, dbo_AltLoss.KindofLoss, dbo_AltLoss.[Amount of
Loss], dbo_AltLoss.Mortgagee, dbo_AltLoss.[Mortagagee Name],
dbo_AltLoss.Item5, dbo_AltLoss.Item1, dbo_AltLoss.Item2,
dbo_AltLoss.Item3, dbo_AltLoss.Item4, dbo_AltLoss.Subject1,
dbo_AltLoss.Subject2, dbo_AltLoss.Subject3, dbo_AltLoss.Subject4,
dbo_AltLoss.Subject5, FormatCurrency([Amount1],0) AS [Calc-Amount1],
FormatCurrency([Amount2],0) AS [Calc-Amount2],
FormatCurrency([Amount3],0) AS [Calc-Amount3],
FormatCurrency([Amount4],0) AS [Calc-Amount4],
FormatCurrency([Amount5],0) AS [Calc-Amount5], FormatCurrency([Ded1],0)
AS [Calc-Ded1], FormatCurrency([Ded2],0) AS [Calc-Ded2],
FormatCurrency([Ded3],0) AS [Calc-Ded3], FormatCurrency([Ded4],0) AS
[Calc-Ded4], FormatCurrency([Ded5],0) AS [Calc-Ded5], dbo_AltLoss.RC1,
dbo_AltLoss.RC2, dbo_AltLoss.RC3, dbo_AltLoss.RC4, dbo_AltLoss.RC5,
dbo_AltLoss.PropDes1, dbo_AltLoss.PropDes2, dbo_AltLoss.PropDes3,
dbo_AltLoss.PropDes4, dbo_AltLoss.PropDes5, dbo_AltLoss.Reinsurance1,
dbo_AltLoss.Explain, dbo_AltLoss.ReportType,
FormatCurrency([Bodilyinjury],0) AS [Calc-Bodilyinjury],
FormatCurrency([Bodilyinjury1],0) AS [Calc-Bodilyinjury1],
FormatCurrency([PropDam],0) AS [Calc-PropDam],
dbo_AltLoss.Reinsurance2, dbo_AltLoss.Reinsurance3,
dbo_AltLoss.Reinsurance4, dbo_AltLoss.Reinsurance5,
dbo_AltLoss.Reinsurance6,
IIf([ReportType]=1,"TELEPHONE",IIf([ReportType]=2,"WRITE-UP","")) AS
[Calc-ReportTypetext], IIf([Veh1]=1,"INSURED
VEHICLE",IIf([Veh1]=2,"CLAIMANT VEHICLE","")) AS [Calc-Veh1text],
IIf([Veh2]=1,"INSURED VEHICLE",IIf([Veh2]=2,"CLAIMANT VEHICLE","")) AS
[Calc-Veh2text], dbo_ZipCodes.CITY, dbo_ZipCodes.STATE,
IIf([NoInjuries]=0,"YES",IIf([NoInjuries]=-1,"NO"," ")) AS
CalcNoInjuriestext, IIf([Type]=1,"PD",IIf([Type]=2,"BI"," ")) AS
CalcTypeOptionstext, dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Name2], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness
Address2], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness CSZ2], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Phone2],
dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Name3], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Address3],
dbo_AltLoss.[Witness CSZ3], dbo_AltLoss.[Witness Phone3],
IIf([kindofloss]=1,"FIRE",IIf([kindofloss]=2,"THEFT",IIf([kindofloss]=3,"LIGHTNING",IIf([kindofloss]=4,"HAIL",IIf([kindofloss]=5,"FLOOD",IIf([kindofloss]=6,"WIND",IIf([kindofloss]=7,"OTHER","")))))))
AS [Calc-kindoflosstext],
IIf([Mortgagee]=1,"YES",IIf([Mortgagee]=2,"NO","")) AS
[Calc-MortgageeText],
IIf([subject1]=1,"BLDG",IIf([subject1]=2,"CNTS",IIf([subject1]=3,"BLKT","")))
AS [Calc-Sub1],
IIf([subject2]=1,"BLDG",IIf([subject2]=2,"CNTS",IIf([subject2]=3,"BLKT","")))
AS [Calc-Sub2],
IIf([subject3]=1,"BLDG",IIf([subject3]=2,"CNTS",IIf([subject3]=3,"BLKT","")))
AS [Calc-Sub3],
IIf([subject4]=1,"BLDG",IIf([subject4]=2,"CNTS",IIf([subject4]=3,"BLKT","")))
AS [Calc-Sub4],
IIf([subject5]=1,"BLDG",IIf([subject5]=2,"CNTS",IIf([subject5]=3,"BLKT","")))
AS [Calc-Sub5], dbo_Register.[CAT Number], dbo_AltLoss.VIN
FROM (dbo_AltLoss INNER JOIN dbo_Register ON dbo_AltLoss.[Claim Number]
= dbo_Register.[Claim Number]) INNER JOIN dbo_ZipCodes ON
dbo_AltLoss.[Producer Zip] = dbo_ZipCodes.ZIP
WHERE (((dbo_AltLoss.[Claim Number])=[Forms]![Atl Loss]![Claim
Number]));

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Can you post the SQL code for the query here please?

Peter Jamieson

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

It's Word Tools|Option|General, not Access Tools|Options...

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
It may be caused by the way in which some of the users are connecting to
the
data source. That can be controlled by checking the box against "Confirm
conversions at open" under ToolsOptionsGeneral.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Word has three ways to connect to Access/Jet databases.

The old one (default in Word 2000 and earlier) is DDE, and it gets data from
the Access application. This allows it to connect to queries that reference
objects that only exist in Access, such as the Form referenced in the query.

The newer ones (ODBC and OLEDB) get their data from the Jet database engine
that Access uses to store/retrieve its data. Access does not have to be
running for OLEDB/ODBC to work and OLEDB/ODBC do not see (as far as I know)
Access objects such as forms.

My assumption is that Doug suggested you look at Word Tools|Options|General
in order to change the connection method to DDE.

Once you have connected using DDE, the simplest way to replicate the problem
you describe is for the [Atl Loss] form in your query to be closed (other
states such as being hidden might cause the problem as well - I don't know).
So an obvious possible explanation is that the user has closed the form
before Word connects. If that does not seem possible (i.e. there is no route
through your software that allows it, or no such timing problem ever occurs,
or the form is obviously open and the user stuill has to enter a parameter,
then I wonder if DDE could be trying to connect to a different instance of
Access where the form is not open? (Actually, I think that is unlikely and
would be noticed, but it's all I can think of right now). There can be
problems with connecting to Access if your Access application modifies the
name in the Access title bar.

(Actually, I think Word must already be connecting via DDE - although ODBC
can see the query name in the list of queries, it will not connect. OLEDB
does not even see the query in the list. I suppose it is possible that you
have a document created in Word 2000 using a DDE connection and that some
glitch has occurred as a result of an update to Windows XP).

Best I can think of right now...

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Can you post the SQL code for the query here please?

Peter Jamieson

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rsw

Peter,
Thanks for clarifiying that for me.
I went into Word on my computer (which I never had the issues) and my
setting was checked. I called the user and her's was not. I had her
check this and they are testing. The inital tests are good. Thanks so
much for all your help!!!!!
rsw

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
It may be caused by the way in which some of the users are connecting to
the
data source. That can be controlled by checking the box against "Confirm
conversions at open" under ToolsOptionsGeneral.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"rsw" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Try looking in Word. I assumed that as you had posted to a Word newsgroup,
that is where you would be looking, not in Access.

--

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
It may be caused by the way in which some of the users are connecting to
the
data source. That can be controlled by checking the box against "Confirm
conversions at open" under ToolsOptionsGeneral.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP