Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flnew

Default multiple records repeat in one doc

Hi gurus,
I have a word doc like below:
Xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxx, xxx xxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxx xx xx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx.

{mergefield fieldname1}
{mergefield fieldname2}
{mergefield fieldname3}
{mergefield fieldname4}
{mergefield fieldname5}

{NEXT}{mergefield fieldname1}
{mergefield fieldname2}
{mergefield fieldname3}
{mergefield fieldname4}
{mergefield fieldname5}

Xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxx, xxx xxxx
xxxxxxx
x.

I need to repeat these fieldname1 to 5 depend on the number of records
returned from database. The number of records is change each time. So I
can not use NEXT because I do not know how many NEXT I need. Can
someone please help me with this? Thank you very much for your help in
advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

Or do it with a report in the database - probably what I would do if I were
you.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"flnew" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flnew

Doug, thank you very much for your help!
What do you mean "multiple items per condition (=key field)" ? I do not
have any condition in the doc. I just want to repeat all the returned
record in one doc rather than usually multiple doc.
The logical like:
if next record exists
then
{mergefield fieldname1}
{mergefield fieldname2}
{mergefield fieldname3}
{mergefield fieldname4}
{mergefield fieldname5}

until end of file. So you think it's not possible to do it? Thanks for
your help!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flnew

Use the directory in mail merge works perfect. But the problem is there
is some text do not need to repeat so how can i use directory only part
in the main document? Thanks for help in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flnew

Thanks!
So there is no way that word do the job for me? That's just not
acceptable for user to put text after the merge.

Is there any other work around? Thanks!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
You have to add the additional text after executing the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"flnew" wrote in message
ps.com...
Use the directory in mail merge works perfect. But the problem is there
is some text do not need to repeat so how can i use directory only part
in the main document? Thanks for help in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See some of the information on Cindy's website to which I directed you.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

ups.com...

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
You have to add the additional text after executing the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"flnew" wrote in message
ps.com...
Use the directory in mail merge works perfect. But the problem is there
is some text do not need to repeat so how can i use directory only part
in the main document? Thanks for help in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flnew

Thanks! I did research Cindy's site you posted but it seems none of
them working for me. Thanks for your help!