Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cjlatta

Default Word 2000 mail merge is corrupt when opened in 2003?

In Office 2000 (on a Win2000 machine), I created a mail merge document using
a csv file and that does some manipulation (field codes) in the letter (I put
all of my calculations in a table and it multiplies in one cell and does a
subtraction in another). I was able to do the merge and then save it as a
separate document. I have another user who is trying to print the letters.
She is using a WinXP machine with Office 2003. When she tries to open the
merged document she gets an error message saying the file is corrupt. She
also can't open the "source" letter to create her own merge (same error
message). I've been able to open both the "source" document and the merged
document on the Office/Win 2000 machine, so I know the documents are still
good. I tried saving the merged document with a different name with the same
negative results on the Word 2003 machine.
I also created a document of envelopes, using the same csv file and also
saved as a separate document. This document my user can open. So, is it the
calculations that is causing the "corrupt" message? My user can open other
Office 2000 documents and even other "source" merge letters.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Sounds like there maybe some corruption in the table. Convert it to text
and then reconvert it back to a table using those items on the Tables menu
and see if that overcomes the problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.