Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Hayes Steve Hayes is offline

Default How does one remove lines?

I wanted to separate pieces of text in word 97 with three dashes ---

Instead it drew a line right across the page, and now I can't delete it.

How do I get rid of this line?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Hi, Steve. You might want to try these:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Ed

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
I wanted to separate pieces of text in word 97 with three dashes ---

Instead it drew a line right across the page, and now I can't delete it.

How do I get rid of this line?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:35:28 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

Hi, Steve. You might want to try these:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Thanks for that.

Problem is, that when I select the text and remove the "Borders and shading"
it simply moves that format back to the preceding paragraph.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Problem is, that when I select the text and remove the "Borders and
shading"
it simply moves that format back to the preceding paragraph.

Did you select several paragraphs, including ones before your problem
paragraph, and use the Ctrl+Q trick explained in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm ??

You might also have an issue covered in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

HTH

wrote:

Hi, Steve. You might want to try these:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Thanks for that.

Problem is, that when I select the text and remove the "Borders and
shading"
it simply moves that format back to the preceding paragraph.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw
E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop
uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you had read the article carefully, you would have read:

Note: If you've pressed Enter several times trying to get rid of the line,
you will merely have applied the border formatting to all the paragraphs you
added, as well as to the original one. This won't be obvious, because when
several consecutive paragraphs have the same "border below" formatting
applied to them, the border only appears below the last of them. So If you
then remove the Border formatting from the paragraph that has the line below
it, the line will move up one paragraph. The trick is to select all the
affected paragraphs and either press Ctrl+Q or choose No Border.