Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SWadeK48 SWadeK48 is offline

Default Accidently Modified a Document

I have Word 2002 for XP and was going in to open a document. When I clicked
to open it a pop-up box came up that I clicked away, only to find out that it
was a box asking me if I wanted to replace the document. Not it's blank and
the history shows that I modified it. How can I go back and undo that or get
my old copy? Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
University of Maine student University of Maine student is offline

If you type "recover" in the MS Word help (Shorcut F1), you may find a way to
recover your document. I found this when searching for a way to help recover
your document.
====================================
OPEN AN EARLIER VERSION OF A DOCUMENT

On the File menu, click Versions.
Click the version of the document you want to open.
Click Open.

This version contains all the previously saved versions.
====================================

"SWadeK48" wrote:

I have Word 2002 for XP and was going in to open a document. When I clicked
to open it a pop-up box came up that I clicked away, only to find out that it
was a box asking me if I wanted to replace the document. Not it's blank and
the history shows that I modified it. How can I go back and undo that or get
my old copy? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You need to be on a server running Windows 2003 Server with Shadow Copy
enabled for Versions to appear.

Otherwise, it is a lost cause.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"SWadeK48" wrote:

I have Word 2002 for XP and was going in to open a document. When I
clicked
to open it a pop-up box came up that I clicked away, only to find out
that it
was a box asking me if I wanted to replace the document. Not it's blank
and
the history shows that I modified it. How can I go back and undo that or
get
my old copy? Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pop` Pop` is offline

One of MANY possitilities in the Help files:
Recover files
1.. If the Microsoft Office program you are using is not responding,
recover the program.
How?

1.. On the Microsoft Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to
Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Application
Recovery.
2.. In the Application list, click the program or document that is not
responding.
3.. Do one of the following:
a.. To attempt to recover the files you were working on, click Recover
Application or Restart Application.
b.. If you just want to close the program, and lose recent changes to
the files, click End Application.
4.. The error that caused the problem can be reported to Microsoft for
use in improving future versions of the program. Click Report problem or
Don't report problem.
2.. Open the Office program.
3.. Review the files listed in the Document Recovery task pane (task pane:
A window within an Office application that provides commonly used commands.
Its location and small size allow you to use these commands while still
working on your files.), and decide which to keep.
How?

a.. If a file has [Recovered] in the title it is usually a file that
contains more recent changes than a file with [Original] in the title.

b.. If you want to view what repairs were made to a file, point to the
file in the Document Recovery task pane, click the arrow next to the file's
name, and then click Show Repairs.
c.. If you want to review the versions that were recovered, open all of
the versions and save the best one.
4.. For each file you want to keep, point to the file in the Document
Recovery task pane, click the arrow next to the file's name, and then do one
of the following:
a.. To work with the file, click Open.
b.. To save the file, click Save As, and then enter a name for the file.
By default, the file is saved in the same folder as the original file. If
you use the same name as the original file, the original is overwritten.
When you see a message asking whether you want to replace the existing file
(with the changes you made up to the last time you saved the file), click
Yes.
5.. When you have opened or saved all of the files you want to keep, click
Close in the Document Recovery task pane.