Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Roy Roy is offline

Default Setting language

Hi,
I am using Word 2003. I change the default language to English (UK) but
it is constantly changing itself back to English (US) & I find that I'm
checking my spelling in American. Crumbs I love America & even Americans
but I'm getting really fed up with constantly changing the default.

Is there a way of removing the other languages thus forcing it to use
English (UK)?

God bless America ;-)

Roy

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Please do not add my address to any on-line
address book, send me, e - greetings cards or
web page links via their site to my address.

I'm trying to cut down on junk mail.

Thank you.

www.btinternet.com/~godalming

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Despite your best efforts, US English can ride in on a single (pasted)
character, and if it happens to be at the insertion point, then everything
you type thereafter will be in US English, which you may not realize till
you spell check. But see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

"Roy" wrote in message
news
Hi,
I am using Word 2003. I change the default language to English (UK)

but
it is constantly changing itself back to English (US) & I find that I'm
checking my spelling in American. Crumbs I love America & even Americans
but I'm getting really fed up with constantly changing the default.

Is there a way of removing the other languages thus forcing it to use
English (UK)?

God bless America ;-)

Roy

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Please do not add my address to any on-line
address book, send me, e - greetings cards or
web page links via their site to my address.

I'm trying to cut down on junk mail.

Thank you.

www.btinternet.com/~godalming

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

I've had this problem too. What about CTRL-spacebar to remove all language
settings in the document. And then CTRL A and apply the default 'correct'
language on the OP's machine?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Despite your best efforts, US English can ride in on a single (pasted)
character, and if it happens to be at the insertion point, then everything
you type thereafter will be in US English, which you may not realize till
you spell check. But see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Roy" wrote in message
news
Hi,
I am using Word 2003. I change the default language to English (UK)

but
it is constantly changing itself back to English (US) & I find that I'm
checking my spelling in American. Crumbs I love America & even Americans
but I'm getting really fed up with constantly changing the default.

Is there a way of removing the other languages thus forcing it to use
English (UK)?

God bless America ;-)

Roy

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Please do not add my address to any on-line
address book, send me, e - greetings cards or
web page links via their site to my address.

I'm trying to cut down on junk mail.

Thank you.

www.btinternet.com/~godalming

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Roy Roy is offline

Thank you both for your input, Ctrl Spacebar & A worked great & I will check
all the other settings later.

Thanks again,

Roy.
"Roy" wrote in message
news Hi,
I am using Word 2003. I change the default language to English (UK) but
it is constantly changing itself back to English (US) & I find that I'm
checking my spelling in American. Crumbs I love America & even Americans
but I'm getting really fed up with constantly changing the default.

Is there a way of removing the other languages thus forcing it to use
English (UK)?

God bless America ;-)

Roy

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Please do not add my address to any on-line
address book, send me, e - greetings cards or
web page links via their site to my address.

I'm trying to cut down on junk mail.

Thank you.

www.btinternet.com/~godalming

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ctrl+A is a good first step in any case. Ctrl+Spacebar is either unnecessary
or should do the trick. That is, Ctrl+Spacebar returns text to the default
paragraph font; if it removes discrepant language formatting, then it would
be sufficient. If it doesn't, then it's pointless, since you'll need to
apply the correct language anyway.

"aalaan" wrote in message
I've had this problem too. What about CTRL-spacebar to remove all language
settings in the document. And then CTRL A and apply the default 'correct'
language on the OP's machine?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Despite your best efforts, US English can ride in on a single (pasted)
character, and if it happens to be at the insertion point, then

everything
you type thereafter will be in US English, which you may not realize

till
you spell check. But see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

For once, Suzanne, I have trouble with your reasoning. How can something be
at the same time unnecessary *or* do the trick. And your elucidation didn't
elucidate me (it may be me). What I needed to do was remove spurious
explicit language settings from within the document and impose the one
language throughout. Nothing worked and the explicit rogue settings
persisted until I first did a CTRL-spacebar. That seemed to clear
everything.

"aalaan" wrote in message
I've had this problem too. What about CTRL-spacebar to remove all
language
settings in the document. And then CTRL A and apply the default 'correct'
language on the OP's machine?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Despite your best efforts, US English can ride in on a single (pasted)
character, and if it happens to be at the insertion point, then

everything
you type thereafter will be in US English, which you may not realize

till
you spell check. But see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Roy" wrote in message
news Hi,
I am using Word 2003. I change the default language to English

(UK)
but
it is constantly changing itself back to English (US) & I find that

I'm
checking my spelling in American. Crumbs I love America & even

Americans
but I'm getting really fed up with constantly changing the default.

Is there a way of removing the other languages thus forcing it to use
English (UK)?

God bless America ;-)

Roy

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Please do not add my address to any on-line
address book, send me, e - greetings cards or
web page links via their site to my address.

I'm trying to cut down on junk mail.

Thank you.

www.btinternet.com/~godalming

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ctrl+Spacebar is unnecessary if it is ineffective (that is, if it does not
succeed in removing the incorrect language and you have to do that through
Tools | Language). It's sufficient if it's effective at returning the text
to the default language. Without testing (which I didn't have time for), I
couldn't say which would be the case.

"aalaan" wrote in message
I've had this problem too. What about CTRL-spacebar to remove all
language
settings in the document. And then CTRL A and apply the default

'correct'
language on the OP's machine?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Despite your best efforts, US English can ride in on a single

(pasted)
character, and if it happens to be at the insertion point, then

everything
you type thereafter will be in US English, which you may not realize

till
you spell check. But see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

newsgroup