Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PH@tic PH@tic is offline

Default Different Header within Same Section

I am trying to change the appearance of the header on page 2 of a particular
section. The section header is NOT linked to the previous section. Yet,
when I change page 2 and check "different first page." all the headers in the
document change.

How can I change page 2 header of a particular section and keep all others
intact?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Make sure you have "This section" selected when you check the box. You
should be able to enable this for a given section. "Different odd and even,"
OTOH, is all or nothing for the entire document.

I suspect your problem, though, is that "Different first page" is giving you
a separate First Page Header, and what you are changing is the Header. Since
the remaining sections have only the Header (and you haven't said that you
have unlinked them from the section in question), then any changes you make
in the primary Header (as opposed to the First Page Header) will be
reflected in the Headers of downstream sections.

http://word.mvps.org

"PH@tic" wrote in message
I am trying to change the appearance of the header on page 2 of a
particular
section. The section header is NOT linked to the previous section. Yet,
when I change page 2 and check "different first page." all the headers in
the
document change.

How can I change page 2 header of a particular section and keep all others
intact?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PH@tic PH@tic is offline

The "change" is happening up stream. I created Cover Page (Sec 1), Contents
(Sec 2), Welcome (Sec 3) which is 2 pages.

Sec 2 is not linked to Sec 1. Sec 3 is not linked to Sec 2.

When I try to change page 2 of Sec 3, and select different first page. The
header on the Cover page (Sec 1) changes to match Sec 3.

Could the issue be that the footers are still linked, even though they are
blank?

"PH@tic" wrote in message
I am trying to change the appearance of the header on page 2 of a
particular
section. The section header is NOT linked to the previous section. Yet,
when I change page 2 and check "different first page." all the headers in
the
document change.

How can I change page 2 header of a particular section and keep all others
intact?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Each specific header and footer has to be unlinked separately. That is, if
you have "Different first page" enabled in more than one section, then you
have a First Page Header/Footer and Header/Footer in each section. The First
Page Header in section 2 can be unlinked from the First Page Header in
section 1 while the Header in section 2, as well as the Footer and First
Page Footer, are still linked to their counterparts in section 1.

If this is Word 2007 and you inserted a Cover Page, then Word accomplishes
this by enabling "Different first page" for the first section and putting
parts of the cover page in the First Page Header (it isn't actually a
separate section, though you may now have made it one). If that's what has
happened, then it would explain the issue in section 3, since the First Page
Header in section 3 would be linked to the one in section 1.

Note, too, that every section *has* all three headers (First Page, Even
Page, and Odd Page/Primary) even if they aren't displayed, and they can
contain content that you can't see if they're not enabled or if the section
doesn't have enough pages to display them.

http://word.mvps.org