Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wielo2001 Wielo2001 is offline

Default Vertical Alignment option unavailable on textbox

I'm using Word 2007 to build a document that contains several independent
text boxes - to use as a template for others in the organization. One (and
only one) of the boxes needs to have the text align to the bottom of the text
box instead of the top.
Seems simple....but....
I have placeholder text in the box, and when I right-click on the border of
the text box I get the flyout menu and select Format Text Box. I go to the
Text Box tab to select Vertical Alignment, but all of the options under
Vertical Alignment are grayed out and unselectable.
I've tried selecting the text, the text box, and the border of the text box,
all with the same result. The only thing I can think of is that the
placeholder text is a custom paragraph style (to make sure the font, size,
and alignment stay consistent) and that might be overriding the vertical
alignment option. I just can't find where that might be happening.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

The only vertical alignment I am aware of is in relation to the page, not the
textbox. Can you use a one column table where you can set the vertical
alignment to bottom?
--
Rae Drysdale

"Wielo2001" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I've only played around with this a little bit, but I've not been able to
force the behavior. Using a custom style, linked text boxes & a few other
tactics doesn't seem to take away the vertical alignment options. In fact, I
even found that with linked boxes you can maintain vertical alignment in one
box & top or bottom in another - something new every day :-)

Are you using one of the pre-existing menu choices as opposed to a drawn
box? That "could" make a difference. Otherwise I'd suspect that it could be
a glitchy text box - they can corrupt without warning. What happens if you
replace that one with a new one?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/30/09 7:31 PM, in article
, "Wielo2001"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wielo2001 Wielo2001 is offline

using the one-cell table doesn't seem to work because the text has to float
over the top of the background image on the page, and I haven't had any luck
with sending the background image behind text with the paragraph settings...
it just stacks all of the images in the template on top of each other.

"Wielo2001" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wielo2001 Wielo2001 is offline

I never touch the pre-existing menu choices. This is definitely a drawn text
box. I did try deleting and redrawing a couple of times, but got the same
result. Since the text in this box has to be independent of the other boxes,
linking isn't an option, unfortunately. I'm going to keep trying the redraw
option, because tables didn't get me anywhere.
I may have to break each line in the box into it's own distinct text box to
control how the data loads into the text boxes....