Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bodye Bodye is offline

Default Footer problem

I am using word to create a whole lot of 'units' of work, each of which is
kind of like a chapter. Then a combination of these units can be combined
into one book.

The problem is that I want the footer to include the name of the unit BUT I
also want to have consecutive page numbers throughout the book (including a
working contents page on the front of each unit).

So each footer must have info specific to that unit, AND generalised to the
whole book.

I would like this process (if it is even possible) to be as automated as
possible. I don't want to have to go into every unit and change the footers.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Also, when the units are combined into a book the book is PDF'd, if this
helps.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bodye Bodye is offline

I probably should have said that the way I'm working at the moment, the
seperate units aren't combined into a single document at any stage unit they
are pdf'd at the end.

"Bodye" wrote:

I am using word to create a whole lot of 'units' of work, each of which is
kind of like a chapter. Then a combination of these units can be combined
into one book.

The problem is that I want the footer to include the name of the unit BUT I
also want to have consecutive page numbers throughout the book (including a
working contents page on the front of each unit).

So each footer must have info specific to that unit, AND generalised to the
whole book.

I would like this process (if it is even possible) to be as automated as
possible. I don't want to have to go into every unit and change the footers.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Also, when the units are combined into a book the book is PDF'd, if this
helps.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Check out the use of the { STYLEREF } field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bodye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bodye Bodye is offline

Hi Doug,

I looked up style ref and it said this

By using the STYLEREF field in a header, you can display and print at the
top of each page the first and last items that appear on that page.

I'm not sure how I could use this, as I don't want to include the first and
last items on the page into the header & footer. I want instead to have one
phrase in the footer (or header), which is the unit title, and then a page
number which will run through several other documents as well.

I have looked at the idea of master and sub documents, but am not sure how
this would work.

Can you please elaborate on why you suggested using {STYLEREF}?

Thanks very much

"Bodye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you unit title has a particular style applied to it, say Heading 1, and
in the header you have a { STYLEREF "Heading 1" } field, the text of the
unit title is what will appear in the header. If you do not use Heading 1
anywhere else in that Section of the document (Headers are (or can be made
to be unique to Sections), it is the text of the unit title that will appear
in the header of all pages of the Section, and it will only change when
there is a new instance of the style that is referenced in the STYLEREF
field.