john gibb

Default Word 2003 having trouble opening Word 2000 docs

Hi,

I get this error when using Word 2003 to open files saved in Word 2000.

Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these
suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.

I can open them with the Text Recovery (as well as still with Word 2000),
but there would be hours of formatting back together again.

Right now my solution is to open them in Word 2000, but I am giving up
features I was just beginning to get used to.

Word 2000 offer regular RTF and one called:

Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc)

Are these alternatives likely to result in minimal unformatting?

thanks,

-john