Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ITGuy ITGuy is offline

Default How to limit table size/characters amount

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone could help me out. A user has just given me a word document
and there's a large table in the document. The problem is that when
characters are entered into the row the user is able to enter text passed the
line and the table the shirinks. Also if the user presses Enter a new line
doesn't appear. The user could still type text in however it doesn't appear.
But if you delete the before it you'll notice the missing text appear (hope
that makes sense)

Is there a way to force the table from expanding when text is enterted also
is there a way to add more text when the user press enter?

Thanks in advanced.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For each table row, clear the "Specify height" box on the Row tab of the
Table Properties dialog box. This allows the row to expand as contents are
added to cells.

To prevent the table columns from resizing, click the Table tab (of the
Table Properties dialog box). Click the Options button. In the Table Options
dialog, clear the "Automatically resize to fit contents" option. Click OK.

To open the Table Properties dialog box: Select one or more rows,
right-click and choose Table Properties from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ITGuy" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone could help me out. A user has just given me a word document
and there's a large table in the document. The problem is that when
characters are entered into the row the user is able to enter text passed
the
line and the table the shirinks. Also if the user presses Enter a new line
doesn't appear. The user could still type text in however it doesn't
appear.
But if you delete the before it you'll notice the missing text appear
(hope
that makes sense)

Is there a way to force the table from expanding when text is enterted
also
is there a way to add more text when the user press enter?

Thanks in advanced.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ITGuy ITGuy is offline

Hey, thanks for the tip

I tired it out and unchecked the box however the text still types but not
the box doesn't shrink. It is possible to have the go down in a line with the
text reaches to the end of the table. At the moment the i'm able to enter as
much text but only X amount of characters will appear.

Thanks

"ITGuy" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone could help me out. A user has just given me a word document
and there's a large table in the document. The problem is that when
characters are entered into the row the user is able to enter text passed
the
line and the table the shirinks. Also if the user presses Enter a new line
doesn't appear. The user could still type text in however it doesn't
appear.
But if you delete the before it you'll notice the missing text appear
(hope
that makes sense)

Is there a way to force the table from expanding when text is enterted
also
is there a way to add more text when the user press enter?

Thanks in advanced.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Press Ctrl+Shift+8 to show nonprinting marks. I suspect the cells contain
excessive paragraph marks (¶). Delete any that you find.

If you still cannot get the row height to adjust properly, check if the
table is inside a text box or frame.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ITGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ITGuy ITGuy is offline

Thanks Stefan,

Tried that out but didn't seem to work, i get this symbol (‚¬)
Take a look at the screenshot below

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1093/tempdc0.jpg

"ITGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Interestingly, the "universal monetary symbol" (¤ or U00A4) is used as the
end-of-cell and end-of-line marker in tables in Word. It appears that the
euro is mapped to that character in the font you're using.

But if you can type only one line of characters before they begin
disappearing, I would guess that the rows *must* be set to an exact height.

"ITGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Interestingly, the "universal monetary symbol" (¤ or U00A4) is used as the
end-of-cell and end-of-line marker in tables in Word. It appears that the
euro is mapped to that character in the font you're using.

But if you can type only one line of characters before they begin
disappearing, I would guess that the rows *must* be set to an exact
height.

And to clarify this further: The row height must be set for each row; to set
it for the whole table, select the whole table before opening the Table
Properties dialog box. Or, in the dialog box, use the Previous Row / Next
Row buttons to navigate between rows.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP