Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pmsimp pmsimp is offline

Default Word 2007 Table of Content - "Add Text" Feature

Does anyone understand exactly what the "Add Text" feature does behind the
scenes?

I noticed that if I click in a paragraph that is styled "normal" and use the
"Add Text" button - it will change the paragraph style to Heading 1, 2 or 3
(depending on level I select)

If I click in a paragraph styled with anything OTHER than normal, it does
not change the paragraph style, but does in fact include it (somehow) in the
TOC.

It apparently does not use a TC field code - because if I mark a paragraph
using Alt+Shft+O - I can see those codes (whereas I do not see these codes
next to the ones I 'marked' using the "Add Text" button).

My reference book says that it inserts a field code - but even if I opt to
see field codes - I do not see one next to any paragraph marked using "Add
Text."

So - how exactly is it "marking" the item to appear in the TOC?

Thanks - just trying to get a better understanding of it.