Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James James is offline

Default Object Link not updating

Hi,
I have a document that I save as htm file using word. In the file is a link
to an excel spreadsheet. I want the link to update everytime the document
gets opened in word however every time I open it an annoying error says 'This
document contains links that may refer to other files. Do you want to update
this docuemtn with the data from the linked files?' I click yes and it does
not update. I have to manually right click the link and click update. How can
I get it to do automatically ? The options are all set to update
automatically but it is not. I am using Word 03.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi James,

I have a document that I save as htm file using word. In the file is a link
to an excel spreadsheet. I want the link to update everytime the document
gets opened in word however every time I open it an annoying error says 'This
document contains links that may refer to other files. Do you want to update
this docuemtn with the data from the linked files?' I click yes and it does
not update. I have to manually right click the link and click update. How can
I get it to do automatically ? The options are all set to update
automatically but it is not. I am using Word 03.

The one thing that occurs to me that you may not have looked at is the field
code maintaining the linked object. Alt+F9 will toggle the field codes on. Is
this a Linked field? Does it contain a \a switch? If not, try adding that at the
end of the field (before the closing bracket } ) and see if that makes a
difference.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org