Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daveybau Daveybau is offline

Default why last sentence in justified paragraph extends to far right?

The paragraph is formatted to align "justified". The last sentence in the
paragraph has only three words. The three words are equally spaced so that
the last word is lined up to the far right of the document. How do I correct
this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is the paragraph terminated with a normal paragraph mark (Enter) or with a
new line character (Shift+Enter)? If it's not a normal paragraph mark,
that's likely to be the problem. Put the cursor at the end of the paragraph
and press Enter.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Daveybau" wrote in message
The paragraph is formatted to align "justified". The last sentence in the
paragraph has only three words. The three words are equally spaced so that
the last word is lined up to the far right of the document. How do I
correct
this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And it that's not the problem, then it could be that the OP (or someone)
pressed Ctrl+Shift+J (Distribute Text) instead of Ctrl+J (Justify).

http://word.mvps.org

"Daveybau" wrote in message
The paragraph is formatted to align "justified". The last sentence in the
paragraph has only three words. The three words are equally spaced so
that
the last word is lined up to the far right of the document. How do I
correct
this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Major Major is offline

Suzanne,

This distribute (force-justify) functionality is exactly what I need for a
Word document I am working on. I have lines of text I need to force justify,
but I cannot use Shift-Enter as it messes up my line count.

This functionality is not described in Word help or in any other
documentation I can find. Admittedly, I'm not into Visual Basic programming
so maybe that's where it comes from. How did you find out about this? Where
can I find more documentation? Is Control-Shift-J the only way to apply it
outside of Visual Basic? Can it be applied from the default Word menus? I'm
using Word 2003.

Major

"Daveybau" wrote in message
The paragraph is formatted to align "justified". The last sentence in the
paragraph has only three words. The three words are equally spaced so
that
the last word is lined up to the far right of the document. How do I
correct
this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Major Major is offline

Suzanne,

This distribute (force-justify) alignment is exactly what I need for a Word
2003 document I'm working on. It is simple, elegant, and exactly reproduces
the typeset document I am transcribing. I can't use the Shift-Enter
workaround as it messes up line numbering and creates other problems.

How did you find out about this alignment option? It's not in the built-in
Word help, and I can find no documentation online. Admittedly, I'm not into
Visual Basic programming, so maybe it's lurking in there somewhere.

Can I use the default Word 2003 menus to apply this alignment? Or is
Control-Shift-J the only way? Please help. I would love to be able to share
this feature with my staff and friends.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And it that's not the problem, then it could be that the OP (or someone)
pressed Ctrl+Shift+J (Distribute Text) instead of Ctrl+J (Justify).

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Major Major is offline

(Sorry about the duplicates, kept getting an error message from the server
but I guess it lied)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It frequently lies, and we charitably assume that the fault is with the
server rather than the user when this happens. g

http://word.mvps.org

"Major" wrote in message
(Sorry about the duplicates, kept getting an error message from the server
but I guess it lied)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The command in question is represented in the Undo list as "Distribute
Para," but I cannot find this anywhere in the All Commands list in Tools |
Customize, so I can't guess at a VBA equivalent (and there seems to be no
way to add it to a menu or toolbar). Perhaps someone else can help?

I would guess it is very likely a command associated with complex scripts or
Asian languages or some such; it may be that if you enable those, you would
be able to find it.

http://word.mvps.org