Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jane Jane is offline

Default Using your custom theme in a microsoft template

Hi,

I spent a lot of time coming up with a custom theme (font and colour) for a
newsletter that I'm putting together. I wanted to use a Microsoft newsletter
template for the format, but when I opened the template file it does not
allow me to change the page layout theme. Is this possible? If so HOW?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:55:02 -0800, Jane wrote:

Hi,

I spent a lot of time coming up with a custom theme (font and colour) for a
newsletter that I'm putting together. I wanted to use a Microsoft newsletter
template for the format, but when I opened the template file it does not
allow me to change the page layout theme. Is this possible? If so HOW?

Thanks!

Look at the title bar of the document created by the downloaded template. If it
says "[Compatibility Mode]" -- as most of them do -- the template and its
document are in Word 2003 format, which doesn't support themes.

Click the Office button and click Convert to change the document to Word 2007
format. The Themes controls will become available. When you save the document,
be sure it's a Word 2007 (*.docx) file.

Unfortunately, what you'll find after conversion is that the styles and graphics
used in the template have "hard-coded" fonts and colors rather than theme fonts
and colors. That means you'll have to modify each style and each graphic to
change them to the theme settings.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman