Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
joc joc is offline

Default can't delete icons from lower left of screen

There are 4 icons in lower left hand corner of my screen. Normal view,
outline view, print view and read view. I can't find a way to delete them.
They cover up the standard page number displayed in that position. I have
Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

These icons are on the horizontal scroll bar. You can turn off display of
the scroll bar on the View tab of Tools | Options, but there must be
something wrong with your display because ordinarily the horizontal scroll
bar does not interfere with view of the status bar. If you are view Word in
a Normal (restored) window, could it be that the bottom of the window is
below the edge of your screen? Do you see anything else on the status bar
(REC, TRK, EXT, OVR, etc.)?

http://word.mvps.org

"joc" wrote in message
There are 4 icons in lower left hand corner of my screen. Normal view,
outline view, print view and read view. I can't find a way to delete
them.
They cover up the standard page number displayed in that position. I have
Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
joc joc is offline

Thanks. I went in and deleted or changed everything I could find. I now
can see the status bar. The four icons are still there above it, and I can't
seem to get rid of them but don't care, as long as I can see the status bar
now. Guess I am going to have to start using my new laptop, but I am still
attached to my old faithful XP as opposed to Vista. Again - thanks for your
reply!

"joc" wrote in message
There are 4 icons in lower left hand corner of my screen. Normal view,
outline view, print view and read view. I can't find a way to delete
them.
They cover up the standard page number displayed in that position. I have
Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As previously stated, you can get rid of the four icons by choosing not to
display the horizontal scroll bar (Tools | Options | View), but I would not
want to do without those icons even if I didn't need the scroll bar, as they
are much more convenient for changing view than having to use the View menu.

What I overlooked in my previous reply is that "Status bar" is one of the
check boxes in Tools | Options | View; if you did not have it checked, then
that was the problem. This assumes that you are using Word 2003 or earlier.
If in fact, given your mention of Vista, you are actually using Word 2007,
then that's a different kettle of fish entirely. In Word 2007 the view icons
are on the status bar, and you can choose what else is displayed there by
right-clicking and choosing the elements you want.

http://word.mvps.org