Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BAM BAM is offline

Default Add vertical lines on mirrored margins in word 2007

I am creating a user manual. I have set mirrored margins 1 1/2" from the edge
with a small gutter margin. I set the margins as big as I did to allow an
area to put text boxes with special tips or for just an area for people to
write notes. I would like to have a vertical line separating the text from
the blank margin area. If I draw a vertical line and anchor it, the line
moves when edits or additional items are added to the text. Is there a way to
insert a vertical line that will not move when the text is edited or
section/page breaks are added?
Please Help!
THANK YOU!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Doesn't Mirrored Margins do that for you? If not, why not?

On Mar 9, 6:44*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Which will require enabling "Different odd and even."

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

On Mar 9, 3:19 pm, BAM wrote:

I am creating a user manual. I have set mirrored margins 1 1/2" from the
edge
with a small gutter margin. I set the margins as big as I did to allow an
area to put text boxes with special tips or for just an area for people to
write notes. I would like to have a vertical line separating the text from
the blank margin area. If I draw a vertical line and anchor it, the line
moves when edits or additional items are added to the text. Is there a way
insert a vertical line that will not move when the text is edited or
section/page breaks are added?
Please Help!
THANK YOU!!!-

Debbie Seko Debbie Seko is offline
Junior Member

Location: I am a MS Office Instructor for Senior Citizens
Send a message via Skype™ to Debbie Seko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
I am creating a user manual. I have set mirrored margins 1 1/2" from the edge
with a small gutter margin. I set the margins as big as I did to allow an
area to put text boxes with special tips or for just an area for people to
write notes. I would like to have a vertical line separating the text from
the blank margin area. If I draw a vertical line and anchor it, the line
moves when edits or additional items are added to the text. Is there a way to
insert a vertical line that will not move when the text is edited or
section/page breaks are added?
Please Help!
THANK YOU!!!
Bam, which version of Word are you using? One way you can try is to use columns. In the columns dialogue box you can choose the option to place a vertical rule between the columns and you can adjust the size of each column so you have one narrow column and one wide column or use three columns and have a narrow column on the left and right with a large column in the center.

If you are using Word 2007 you can use columns and choose the "left" column option to create a narrow column and a wide column.

Hope this helps.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're anchoring the line to the header, you have to anchor it to the Odd
Page Header to get it on one side and the Even Page Header to get it on the
other, just the same as if you wanted page numbers on the outside.

On Mar 9, 3:19 pm, BAM wrote:

I am creating a user manual. I have set mirrored margins 1 1/2" from the
edge
with a small gutter margin. I set the margins as big as I did to allow
an
area to put text boxes with special tips or for just an area for people
write notes. I would like to have a vertical line separating the text
from
the blank margin area. If I draw a vertical line and anchor it, the line
moves when edits or additional items are added to the text. Is there a
way
insert a vertical line that will not move when the text is edited or
section/page breaks are added?
Please Help!
THANK YOU!!!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yabbut you don't have to do the step of _enabling_ the Different odd
and even.

I should have said "Anchor them in the Headers" -- but note that BAM
spoke of a single vertical line.

On Mar 9, 3:19 pm, BAM wrote:

I am creating a user manual. I have set mirrored margins 1 1/2" from the
edge
with a small gutter margin. I set the margins as big as I did to allow
an
area to put text boxes with special tips or for just an area for people
write notes. I would like to have a vertical line separating the text
from
the blank margin area. If I draw a vertical line and anchor it, the line
moves when edits or additional items are added to the text. Is there a
way
insert a vertical line that will not move when the text is edited or
section/page breaks are added?
Please Help!
THANK YOU!!!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

She said she enabled "Mirror margins" and set a large outside margin and
wants a line between the text and the margin. That means she wants a line on
the outside of each page, to the right of the text on odd pages and to the
left of the text on even pages. In order to achieve that with a line
anchored to the margin, one way is to anchor the line in the appropriate
position in the odd and even headers. Another approach is to use the
Advanced Layout setting to position the line Outside of Margin or Page, but
this puts it right on the margin. Another way to put a line in the margins
is to use a Page Border on just the one side, but there's no Outside setting
for those, and there's no provision for different ones on odd and even
pages. This pretty much leaves graphic lines anchored to the odd and even
headers as the only practical approach.