Ann Scharpf

Default Comments as tool tips in Word 2003

Today my computer was migrated from Office 97 (!!) to Office 2003. I have a
number of Word template forms that I created for general use in my office. I
added instructions to these forms by using the comments function.

By default, when we open these documents in 2003, the comments appear as
balloons on the right side of the page. There are so many comments that the
balloons and dashed lines all run together. I would like to give users the
option to use the "old" method (if they prefer) and display the comments as
tool tips instead of balloons.

I went into Tools Options Track Changes and changed the "Use Balloons"
option to NEVER. The problem is that some of the tool tips boxes just blip
by on the screen. Others stay in the display as long as you rest your mouse
on the highlighted text, as they should.

Sometimes, if I turn off the form protection, the fields seem to switch and
the "flashing" comments become "steady" ... and the "steady" comments start
"flashing." (They don't always switch when I turn protection on & off. And
sometimes, SOME of them behave the "old" way and other times, those same
fields start behaving the opposite way.)

I mailed the document to another migrated user and her machine is having the
same display problem that mine is. I created these comments at the same time
in the same document, so I can't imagine why they are behaving this way.

Can anyone give me any idea why some of the comments stay on the screen and
others just flash? Is there any way to fix these documents? (There is
EXTENSIVE stye and table formatting in them and I would really prefer to not
recreate them from scratch!)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW5uIFNjaGFycGY=?=,

Can anyone give me any idea why some of the comments stay on the screen and
others just flash? Is there any way to fix these documents? (There is
EXTENSIVE stye and table formatting in them and I would really prefer to not
recreate them from scratch!)

It could be a question of the graphics card driver. Often, when upgrading to a
newer version of Word it's necessary to also update the graphics card driver.

Other than that, I'd look at how the comments are "built". IOW, do they
surround text, a form field, formfield + text? Look for some kind of pattern in
what they contain, as this might be affecting how they react to a mouse-over.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)