ll

Default Calculation

I have a table and want to do a page calculation at the end of each page and
then a grand total at the end of the document in that column. For each page
I could use the following: =SUM(ABOVE), but for the grand total how can I
calculate the whole column (including all pages). Any help appreciated,
thanks.

ll

The subtotals already are bookmarked when calculated (called "QuickMark 1").
Then I go into Table, Formula, Paste Bookmark (which is called QuickMark1),
it doesn't work no matter how I word the formula. Is it something like:
=SUM(QuickMark 1) ??? Am I on the right track? Please help. Thanks.

"ll" wrote in message
I have a table and want to do a page calculation at the end of each page
and
then a grand total at the end of the document in that column. For each
page
I could use the following: =SUM(ABOVE), but for the grand total how can
calculate the whole column (including all pages). Any help appreciated,
thanks.

Greg

Each subtotal must have a unique bookmark (e.g., QM1, QM2, QM3, etc.)
then use a fomula like: {=Sum(QM1, QM2, QM3, etc.)} hopefully you
don't have many tables like this, because AFAIK there isn't any way to
write a formula for a range of bookmarks e.g., {=Sum(QM1:QM100)} :-(

macropod

Hi II,

For =SUM(ABOVE) to correctly generate sub-totals, you must have either:
A) at least one blank row separating each sub-total from the next series of
numbers; or
B) each series of numbers and sub-totalling formula in separate tables.

For the first case, suppose your data are in columns B & C. You could
generate an overall total for column B using =SUM(B:B)/2. However, if you
put such a formula in column B, it creates a circular reference that
includes the total row. The result will be a doubling of the total each time
it is refreshed - not good. The simplest way around this is to insert a new
empty column between columns B & C, so that what was column B now becomes
column C. Make this column as narrow as possible for all except the last
row, and make column B as narrow as possible on the last row only. Then in
the new column C on the last row, use the same formula. Now, with a bit of
formatting, you can get a formula that will calculate correctly. Repeat this
process as necessary for other columns.

For the second case, give each table a unique bookmark (eg Table1, Table2,
etc). Then, in a new table sharing the same format as the others (or a
different format if you want) and use a formula like =(SUM(Table1
B:B)+SUM(Table2 B:B))/2.

You'll note that I've divided the results in each case by 2. That's because
the ranges being summed include both the items and the subtotals, which
together tally to twice the value you're after.

Cheers