Dmitry Kopnichev

Default What program preserves an exact look of a paper document?

Hello

What program to use to change some symbols in a paper document and preserve
its exact look after printing?

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Dimitry

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
What program to use to change some symbols in a paper document and
preserve its exact look after printing?

Since you are dealing with text files (that's what your screenshot
indicates, which you posted into these supposedly text-only newsgroups,
btw :-)), why not use a decent text editor?

In any case, if that's really textfiles we're dealing with: A text-file
doesn't really have a predetermined format IMHO (there's always paper
size, font and -size, margins etc.).

If you create these files from a scanner, there's probably no good way:
PDF and a "PDF editor" might preser the look best (if you have the
original font ...), but is probably ugly to replace text. If you use
Word or a text editor, you will have to deal with the above mentioned
problems ...

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Dmitry Kopnichev

Hi Robert
Thanks for your reply.
I'm not dealing with text files. The screenshot is a scanned part of a paper
document.
Why is "PDF editor" ugly to replace text?
The scanned part of the paper document is http://kopn.narod.ru/o.gif
"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Dimitry

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
[...]

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Dimitry

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
I'm not dealing with text files. The screenshot is a scanned part of a
paper document.

Did you OCR the scans? If not, things *will* get very ugly! It would
mean that you are basically dealing with a large bitmap. I don't know
whether there's a good way to replace a certain part of a bitmap in that
way (other than doing it by hand. In any case, this is no work for MSFT
Word!

Why is "PDF editor" ugly to replace text?

The mere idea of editing a PDF usually indicates bad workflow. But I've
jumped to preposterous conclusions here, in that you don't need to scan
to PDF but could do so to TIFF, of course. Then you end up with the
above scenario. If you do have scanned to an OCR'ed PDF, you should look
for a decent way to replace the desired glyphs. Again I have no idea
what kind of editor or scripting solution might be best here.
comp.text.pdf would be your friend ...

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Dmitry Kopnichev

Hi Robert
I tried to OCR the scan http://kopn.narod.ru/o.gif An OCR program does not
retain the dashed lines and +s.
I have not tried to scan to pdf.
I got a reply in comp.text.pdf that the question is not for the group.

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
[...]

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
I tried to OCR the scan http://kopn.narod.ru/o.gif An OCR program does
not retain the dashed lines and +s.

Ultimately, you might have to either resort to graphical programs to
replace your glyphs, or abandon the idea of preserving the exact output.

I have not tried to scan to pdf.
I got a reply in comp.text.pdf that the question is not for the group.

That group would only be correct if you are in fact dealing with PDFs
(read: scan to PDF), of course.

At least we have determined that the word groups are off-topic as well:
Word is not pretty good in retaining format even with stuff you created
in there in the first place. For imported text (or graphics which need
to be changed), it's not an adequate choice IMHO.

Good luck!
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS