Marjorie

Default print table columns on facing pages

Hi !
I have a single document, containing a table with two columns and
several rows. On the left column is an english novel, and on the right
column its translation in another language. Each paragraph is in a
different row, so that the original text and its translation are
perfectly aligned. All this is spiced by the presence of footnotes
attached to the text in the left column !
My problem is that I would like to split my table on two facing pages
(left column on the left page, right on the right page). Is it possible
with Word, maybe with a little help from macros and VB ?
Thanks !
Marjorie

It's not something I'd attempt. I can think of two ways to do it, neither of
them really satisfactory and both every labor-intensive, especially if you
want to preserve the equal row height of the two languages so that the
paragraphs are parallel.

A third possibility, equally labor-intensive but with at least some hope of
success, would be to split the table into page-size chunks and repeat each
chunk on the following (facing) page. Set each column to the margin width
and make the even-page table chunks left-aligned and the odd-page tables
right-aligned. Then select all the text on each page that falls outside the
margins and format it as Font Color: White. This assumes that your table has
no borders (which will print even if the text is invisible). You need the
text to be White rather than Hidden to preserve the row height.

It's possible that the text could be formatted in such a way that it would
sense whether it was on an odd or even page and be White or Auto
accordingly, but that would probably require some VBA (or at least some
intensive work with fields). Something similar could perhaps be done for the
table alignment. But I suspect you'd need very sophisticated VBA to break
the text up into page-sized chunks and repeat them on the next page.

"Marjorie" wrote in message
Hi !
I have a single document, containing a table with two columns and
several rows. On the left column is an english novel, and on the right
column its translation in another language. Each paragraph is in a
different row, so that the original text and its translation are
perfectly aligned. All this is spiced by the presence of footnotes
attached to the text in the left column !
My problem is that I would like to split my table on two facing pages
(left column on the left page, right on the right page). Is it possible
with Word, maybe with a little help from macros and VB ?
Thanks !
Marjorie

jay m

What happens if you set up the doc with a page size of the two facing
pages?
That would allow you to have a single table with two columns an a wide
gutter (or narrow column)between them.

I really don't know how you'd print the thing, but that might be
feasible...

cheers
Jay