SEBEK

Default Conversion error when Importing Excel spreadsheet into Word 2003

I used to be able to import an Excel spreadsheet range into a Word document.
I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 and now when I try to
import from Excel, I get a conversion dialog box that says, "Select the
encoding that makes your document readable." The default is Windows, but I've
tried all options and none are readable.

The way I've been used to importing these spreadsheets (in Word 2000) is:
INSERT | FILE | Select the Excel file name |Select from the dropdown list:
SHEET1 | Enter the cell range to insert

This allowed me to insert a fully editable/formattable version of my
spreadsheet.

Can anyone help with this conversion issue?
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Sebek,

Office 2003 no longer includes the Excel import filter from
prior versions. You can use the clipboard to cut/paste Excel
data or add the Excel32.cnv converter from an older version
of Office to this folder
drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

and then turn on Confirm Conversions on Open in
Tools=Options=General in Word and see if it recognizes the file
you're trying to insert through File=Open or Insert=File

==============

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

SEBEK

I have searched my computer for the file Excel32.cnv and it does not appear
to be there.

"SEBEK" wrote in message ...
[...]

inserting an Excel spreadsheet into Word - how to remove gridl Steve Tables 2 July 17th 07 06:30 AM
How do I block a user from opening an excel spreadsheet in word? GrannyM Microsoft Word Help 4 July 8th 05 03:51 PM
How to link a word field to an excel spreadsheet Matt Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 05 07:37 PM
Importing from Excel Doreen New Users 3 December 20th 04 05:45 PM
Formatting EXCEL spreadsheet onto WORD document yoyoyooreo Page Layout 3 December 17th 04 05:07 PM