Grant

Default spacing between lines in columns

I have been using paragraph border lines to allow me to have column headers
that have individual lines instead of ones that run across the length of the
table.
i.e., I want something like:
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
___________ _____________ _______________

instead of
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3

The problem with using paragraph borders is that for some reason I can't get
the lines to be consistently aligned when there are some columns with single
lines and some with mutliple lines. Ironically, on the screen everything
looks fine, but when I print, sure enough, the lines underneath some column
headers are higher than their neighbors.

i.e. (unfortunately this will make it look far more dramatic than it is, but
in my document, I do actually have three lines at three different positions)
Column 2 Column 3
Column 1 multiline also multiline
_______________
____________
____________

What I would like is either another solution or to find a way to have the
paragraph border be more consistent (the text is formatted exactly the same
for all columns, including paragraph formatting).

Any hints?

Thanks,

Grant
TracyJ

Well, you may have already thought of this, but, I would suggest using a
table. That is about the only way I can think of to make this work and line
up correctly. You would need to turn on the bottom border in cell containing
your heading. I think it works best that way.

Hope that helps.
--
Thanks!
Tracy

"Grant" wrote:

[...]

Grant

Actually, this was all within the context of a table. The problem is that I
want spaces between the columns. If you turn on the border of two adjacent
cells, the line is continuous. I want a break so that you can tell the line
that is for the first cell and a line for the second. Putting the border on
the *paragraph* works just fine if you have a single row-- but I have
multiple lines in my cell (which actually is a cell in a column merged over
three rows) and for some reason when I print it out the line under the text
is higher than the lines under the text of other cells-- even though print
preview shows things to be OK. The work-around I ended up using (which is far
from ideal) was to use the paragraph border with everything in a single row
with text boxes for the additional text for cells with mutliple lines.

Grant