Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jwset

Default importing data from excel into word documnet

Ok here we go. I have an excel data base that I made up and now I am trying
to inport data to a word document from it. I have in the excel database 5
columns of data and what I am trying to do is when i type in a number I want
word to search for that number in excel then when it finds it I want it to
return the data from the other cells next to the number it found and paste
that information into the word document. I am using tables in the word
document so need the information placed into the cells in the table. how do
i go about doing this or is it even possible?

here is a basic I dea what i got

excel table
number Subjcet Date total revised how much
etc....
4555 To do or not to do that is the question 11/02/2004
$24.00 12/05/2005 etc...
and so on with info.

in word I have a table layout so I input the same number but want it ot
retun just the subject and date into the word table not the rest of the
information in that line

I Hope you can help me I am lost.

Thank you for your time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?andzZXQ=?=,

I have an excel data base that I made up and now I am trying
to inport data to a word document from it. I have in the excel database 5
columns of data and what I am trying to do is when i type in a number I want
word to search for that number in excel then when it finds it I want it to
return the data from the other cells next to the number it found and paste
that information into the word document. I am using tables in the word
document so need the information placed into the cells in the table. how do
i go about doing this or is it even possible?

Exactly the way you describe it would not be possible. There's no decent way in
Word to trap individual keystrokes. If you could use some kind of interface
(InputBox, UserForm, ActiveX control) then events would be available that could
trigger the VBA code.

VBA questions should be addressed to one of the word.vba newsgroups. To get you
started, there are a couple of articles on word.mvps.org that discuss how to
automate Excel from within Word. It would also be possible to link to the Excel
data using DAO or ADO (which means the Excel application wouldn't have to be
opened, or even present on the machine).

When you pick up the question in a VBA newsgroup, be sure to state the version
of Office and Windows involved. And give more details about the data source if
you want code samples (such as possible "key" values and field names (column
headers).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org