Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark B.

Default Merging two names on one page

I'm trying to create two 1/2 size postcards on one page in word and then
merge names and addresses into EACH postcard from an Excel spreadsheet. I
cannot find a way to do this without merging the same name twice. I'm using
the "next record" feature in word and I still haven't figured out how to
merge each name ONE TIME ONLY in the top or bottom half of the page (i.e. on
the top or bottom postcard).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

There should be a Next Record before the first mergefield in the second
post card on the sheet. Where do you have it?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mark B." Mark wrote in message
I'm trying to create two 1/2 size postcards on one page in word and then
merge names and addresses into EACH postcard from an Excel spreadsheet. I
cannot find a way to do this without merging the same name twice. I'm
using
the "next record" feature in word and I still haven't figured out how to
merge each name ONE TIME ONLY in the top or bottom half of the page (i.e.
on
the top or bottom postcard).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark B.

I tried this an it will go to the next record on the second postcard but
repeat this record on the first postcard on page 2 (what would normally be
the third postcard overall). I then tried to insert a Next Record before the
1st postcard and then the same names show up one or two postcards later. Now
I'm having problems troubleshooting because the "Next Record" isn't showing
up on the paper so I'm not even sure where I've inserted it.

"Mark B." Mark wrote in message
I'm trying to create two 1/2 size postcards on one page in word and then
merge names and addresses into EACH postcard from an Excel spreadsheet. I
cannot find a way to do this without merging the same name twice. I'm
using
the "next record" feature in word and I still haven't figured out how to
merge each name ONE TIME ONLY in the top or bottom half of the page (i.e.
on
the top or bottom postcard).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

It sounds as if you previewing the records, and not "completing the merge",
i.e. actually merging to the printer or merging to a new document and then
printing it. If you are using the mail merge wizard, you probably need to go
one step further with it than you are doing at the moment. This is a common
problem because the workding in the task pane is rather easy to
misunderstand at this point.

I'm having problems troubleshooting because the "Next Record" isn't
showing
up on the paper so I'm not even sure where I've inserted it.

Assuming you're wusing Word 2002/3, use Tools|Customize|Toolbars to enable
the MailMerge toolbar. Then you can use the preview button (it has " "
with "ABC" underneath) to toggle between the view where you see the field
results and the view where merge fields show up as fieldname and Next
record is displayed. Using Alt-F9 toggles between one of those views and
"view the underlying field codes" where merge fields show up as { MERGEFIELD
fieldname } and Next reord shows as { NEXT }

If you're in Word 2000 or earlier, the mailmerge toolbar always shows when a
mail merge main document is the active document, and you can use the preview
button and Alt-F9 in the same way.

Peter Jamieson

"Mark B." Mark wrote in message
I'm trying to create two 1/2 size postcards on one page in word and
then
merge names and addresses into EACH postcard from an Excel spreadsheet.
cannot find a way to do this without merging the same name twice. I'm
using
the "next record" feature in word and I still haven't figured out how
merge each name ONE TIME ONLY in the top or bottom half of the page
(i.e.
on
the top or bottom postcard).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark B.

Default Thanks for your help

Doug and Peter,

Thanks for your help on this. I really appreciate it. Your two suggestions
solved my problem.

Mark