Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SheSmith

Default Need help using merge function for complex documents.

I currently use WordPerfect shells and variable documents to create complex
merge documents. I need to transfer that task to Word. Anyone have any
experience doing that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Not really sure what you mean by complex merge documents. What's complex in
WordPerfect, may be simple in Word. Give us some more information to get
the best help.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"SheSmith" wrote in message
I currently use WordPerfect shells and variable documents to create complex
merge documents. I need to transfer that task to Word. Anyone have any
experience doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I last used WordPerfect data merges a long long time ago and didn't know it
well then, but if I remember correctly, WordPerfect data files can be quite
flexible and there are constructs in WordPerfect that let you loop through
records in the data source. In Word you don't get that flexibility with the
standard mailmerge - you have one, tabular data source and no looping. If
you need looping etc. you may be better off "rolling your own" merge using
Word VBA, but as Doug says, it depends on what you mean by complex.

Peter Jamieson

"SheSmith" wrote in message
I currently use WordPerfect shells and variable documents to create complex
merge documents. I need to transfer that task to Word. Anyone have any
experience doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SheSmith

We use shell documents/data files to create wastewater permits. The shells
are a compilation of several documents (the permit, several letters, the
supporting technical summary, etc.) and run 10 to 40 pages in length. Things
like permit numbers, names, and addresses are repeated numerous times. In
some instances the data field itself may be a paragraph. There are also
comments in the shells that direct the permit writer to add/delete text. The
documents are worked on by several different people. The merge function
allows us to enter pertinent data only once and cuts down on errors. Each
data file is specific to a permittee. We do not create multiple permits from
the same data file.

WordPerfect data files are created in WordPerfect and are very flexible. WP
also has a quick entry interface for putting data into the data file
template.

Hope this is a little better explanation.

"SheSmith" wrote in message
I currently use WordPerfect shells and variable documents to create complex
merge documents. I need to transfer that task to Word. Anyone have any
experience doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I am not sure that mailmerge is the best thing for this.

I would be more inclined to start with a template that contained a userform
into which the data on things like permit numbers,names, dates and addresses
are entered and then by clicking on a command button on the userform, the
various documents are created and populated with the data that is entered.

See the following series of articles, especially the last about connecting
to a database (but thinking more about what you are doing, that is where I
would be starting.)

Please Fill Out This Form
Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46

Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119

Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127

Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
better records!
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136