Christine - HCVT

Default Footnotes (comments) on left hand margin

We prepare financial statements and sometimes we need to find the source of
the information for certain items on our reports. Is there a way, other than
inserting comments, to insert a footnote that appears on the side of the page
(like on the left margin). We don't want it to print but my boss likes to
see the source of information as he scrolls down on the document.

A feature similar to bookmarking feature on Adobe Acrobat.
Klaus Linke

Hi Christine,

What you are describing are comments, so the comments feature would be the
logical thing to use.
You can make them (in)visible or choose to (not) print them with the dropdown on
the reviewing toolbar, as you wish.

Below, you write you want a feature similar to bookmarks in Adobe Acrobat. You
can use bookmarks in Word, too, but they have a different purpose. With
bookmarks, you can mark some text, maybe give it some meaningful "name", and
they allow you to return there later. The list of bookmarks doesn't scroll with
the text as you want it to, neither in Word nor in Acrobat, and the feature
doesn't seem right for what you want to achieve.

Smart tags might be another option, if the items you want to mark up are always
the same (such as company names from some list, article IDs that always have a
similar pattern of numbers and letters, ...), so that a smart tag recognizer can
automatically locate them. The information wouldn't be always visible in the
margin, though, but would appear if you hover over the tagged text.

Greetings,
Klaus

Comments in the Margin? Lem New Users 2 January 21st 05 07:29 PM
how do i use footnotes and footers together? Tom The Appraiser Page Layout 2 January 12th 05 09:40 PM
How do you view only footnotes and/or make a list of footnotes? Secretary short on time. Microsoft Word Help 2 December 28th 04 09:50 PM
footnotes with multiple sections dcn1396 Microsoft Word Help 3 December 20th 04 01:47 AM
Word 2000: need to expand the header to the left; left text margi. [email protected] Page Layout 1 December 14th 04 07:54 PM