Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
awrex awrex is offline

Default Updating common elements across multiple documents

Hi!

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing and used the exaple, but I'm getting
an invalid file name after hitting F9.

However, my scenario might be a little different. I have 9 different
documents with all 9 having the same first section containing the same
information. However the sections are empty till the user fills them in. I'm
wanting the subsequent documents to be entered after the first document is
completed. Though the hitch is that they will all be saved with different
names, based on a naming convention used internally.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Dion,

You could do this with a IncludeText fields.

Say you have a file "C:\My Resume Boiler Plate" that has all the
standardized information subject to change. Assign bookmarks to the various
general areas (e.g., bookmark the section on experience as EXP, the section
on goals as Goals, etc.,)

Now open Version 1 of you resume. In the section for experience put {
IncludeText "c:\\My Resume Boiler Plate.doc" EXP } where the { } is entered
with CTRL+F9. When you select and toggle the field code, the text in
standard information document will be inserted in your version 1 resume. If
you change the standard information, just open version one and update fields
CTRL+a then F9.

HTH

--
Greg Maxey
A peer in "peer to peer" support

Dion Starfire wrote:
Brief explanation of the current scenario
I have several different versions of my resume that I use for
different job fields. They all have the exact same information,
except for one part that details my skills. I occassionally need to
update information in the parts that are common to every version.

What I'd like to do:
Is there some way I can have the changes I make to the common
elements in one version get reflected in the others without having to
manually edit every one? Even with cut and paste, this is still a
pain.

I have office 2000 professional, and am using word 2000 for all my
resumes