Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pflugs Pflugs is offline

Default Embedding Multi-page Documents

Hello,

My Senior Design team and I are making our final report, and the professor
is requiring us to include copies of all applicable standards. I have
scanned or downloaded PDF copies of all files, and I'd like to include them
in our report (Word doc) somehow.

I've embedded PDFs before, but I can't figure out how to get multi-page PDFs
to work without splitting them into individual pages. Is there a way to do
this?

Alternatively, is there a better way to include them in the report than
embedding? The only thing I really want is that those files to bear the same
footer as the rest of the report.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew Pfluger
Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot import multi-page PDFs as objects cannot span pages. You could
try the trial of SnagIt www.techsmith.com and use its 'printer' driver to
print the PDFs to multi-page graphics and insert those graphics?

Pflugs wrote:
Hello,

My Senior Design team and I are making our final report, and the
professor is requiring us to include copies of all applicable
standards. I have scanned or downloaded PDF copies of all files, and
I'd like to include them in our report (Word doc) somehow.

I've embedded PDFs before, but I can't figure out how to get
multi-page PDFs to work without splitting them into individual pages.
Is there a way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a better way to include them in the report
than embedding? The only thing I really want is that those files to
bear the same footer as the rest of the report.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew Pfluger
Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pflugs Pflugs is offline

Mr. Mayor,

Thanks for your reply. We have several multi-page PDF files that will be
inserted into sections of our main word document. (NOT a master document,
I've read the forums!)

Aside from printing each PDF and including a hard copy, is there a better
way to insert these multi-page PDFs into our document and keeping the same
footers and subsequent page numbers? Would sections and redefining page
numbers be the way to go?

Thanks,
Matthew Pfluger

Pflugs wrote:
Hello,

My Senior Design team and I are making our final report, and the
professor is requiring us to include copies of all applicable
standards. I have scanned or downloaded PDF copies of all files, and
I'd like to include them in our report (Word doc) somehow.

I've embedded PDFs before, but I can't figure out how to get
multi-page PDFs to work without splitting them into individual pages.
Is there a way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a better way to include them in the report
than embedding? The only thing I really want is that those files to
bear the same footer as the rest of the report.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew Pfluger
Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have already indicated the only way I can think of of doing this. There is
no way you can integrate disparate formats within a Word document and still
expect the page numbers to match. If you use sections, how are you going to
number the pages that comprise the PDFs?

Pflugs wrote:
Hello,

My Senior Design team and I are making our final report, and the
professor is requiring us to include copies of all applicable
standards. I have scanned or downloaded PDF copies of all files,
and I'd like to include them in our report (Word doc) somehow.

I've embedded PDFs before, but I can't figure out how to get
multi-page PDFs to work without splitting them into individual
pages. Is there a way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a better way to include them in the report
than embedding? The only thing I really want is that those files to
bear the same footer as the rest of the report.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew Pfluger
Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pflugs Pflugs is offline

I metioned sections only because I thought I may be able to break the
document where I want to insert the PDFs, and then the next section would
have its page numbers offset by a certain amount. Is there a way to offset
page numbers?

Pflugs wrote:
Hello,

My Senior Design team and I are making our final report, and the
professor is requiring us to include copies of all applicable
standards. I have scanned or downloaded PDF copies of all files,
and I'd like to include them in our report (Word doc) somehow.

I've embedded PDFs before, but I can't figure out how to get
multi-page PDFs to work without splitting them into individual
pages. Is there a way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a better way to include them in the report
than embedding? The only thing I really want is that those files to
bear the same footer as the rest of the report.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew Pfluger
Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes, you can restart the page numbers for each section in a document from
any start number you like - it may however make indexing a tad complicated.
See the header/footer toolbar format page number.

Pflugs wrote:
Hello,

My Senior Design team and I are making our final report, and the
professor is requiring us to include copies of all applicable
standards. I have scanned or downloaded PDF copies of all files,
and I'd like to include them in our report (Word doc) somehow.

I've embedded PDFs before, but I can't figure out how to get
multi-page PDFs to work without splitting them into individual
pages. Is there a way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a better way to include them in the report
than embedding? The only thing I really want is that those files
to bear the same footer as the rest of the report.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew Pfluger
Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Pflugs,

The 'printer driver' Graham mentioned wouldn't require you to create hard copy pritout. It can also 'print' (convert/extract) the
individual pages of your PDF file to individual graphics. Each graphic (PNG or JPG) can then be included in the Word document using
Insert=Picture=From File.

There are several 'PDF Splitter' utilities available as well as converters for 'PDF to Word' on the market as well.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP