Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
locastella locastella is offline

Default How do I make a chart with an angled cell across the top

I am trying to make a chart that is similar to a mileage chart in word. Any
help on how to angle the cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This can't be done in Word (you can have vertical text, but not angled), but
it can be done in Excel.

"locastella" wrote in message
I am trying to make a chart that is similar to a mileage chart in word.

Any
help on how to angle the cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This can't be done in Word (you can have vertical text, but not angled), but
it can be done in Excel.

"locastella" wrote in message
I am trying to make a chart that is similar to a mileage chart in word.

Any
help on how to angle the cells?

Thanks for the answer, I can quit trying! Can you tell me how to do it in excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Well, the first thing you need to know is that *all* the cells in a given
row have to be angled. That's what threw me off the first time I tried it.
Select the row, then use Format | Cells | Alignment and drag the red diamond
to the desired angle (say, 45 degrees). You won't see any change in the
cells until you type something, and you won't get the full effect unless you
make the columns narrower than the angled text.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This can't be done in Word (you can have vertical text, but not angled),

but
it can be done in Excel.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"locastella" wrote in message
I am trying to make a chart that is similar to a mileage chart in

word.
Any
help on how to angle the cells?

Thanks for the answer, I can quit trying! Can you tell me how to do it

in excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When I saw your response, Suzanne, I thought I'd awoken in an alternative
universe, one in which Word is quite different from the Word I know... I
went through the steps to verify what I already knew -- no such red diamond
existed. Then, in desperation and confusion, I read the previous response
and discovered you were talking about Excel... not Word. Man, was I
relieved.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, the first thing you need to know is that *all* the cells in a given
row have to be angled. That's what threw me off the first time I tried it.
Select the row, then use Format | Cells | Alignment and drag the red
diamond
to the desired angle (say, 45 degrees). You won't see any change in the
cells until you type something, and you won't get the full effect unless
you
make the columns narrower than the angled text.

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This can't be done in Word (you can have vertical text, but not
angled),

but
it can be done in Excel.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"locastella" wrote in message
I am trying to make a chart that is similar to a mileage chart in

word.
Any
help on how to angle the cells?

Thanks for the answer, I can quit trying! Can you tell me how to do it

in excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yeah, well you do have to be following the thread! And of course, although I
didn't mention it earlier, presumably an Excel object could be embedded in
Word in order to accomplish this in a Word document (but only for one page
or less).

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so